Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP T730
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

After a Bios update from 1.15 to 1.16 the thin client T730 failed to start.

The fan of the thin client a blowing very hard after a few seconds.

Trying a USB Bios recovery stick is not working.

How can I do a working BIOS recovery

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

I assume the bios update failed and pressing ESC cannot get into the bios.

The $99 motherboard shown in this photo has a button to clear the CMOS.  Have you tried that?

BeemerBiker_1-1660597919053.png

There is a discussion on page 33 of the t730 troubleshooting guide.  If a bios update fails the system is supposed to search the hard drive first and then any USB drives looking for a bios file

The name of the bios file "bin" is L43_0116.bin

BeemerBiker_0-1660597487509.png

You should extract that binary from the executable and store it on a USB flash.  Use a flash memory that had an LED so you can tell if the computer is trying to read the chip.

An older bios can be found here if you trust reddit

If nothing works then try contacting the following vendor and ask if they can do the repair for you

https://www.ebay.com/itm/384280365611

I looked at that motherboard (top photo) and did not see any obvious bios chip to replace.  That means the chip is not socketed and is extremely small.  It may be cheaper to obtain a used motherboard than to replace the bios chip.

Thank you for using HP products and posting to the community.
I am a community volunteer and do not work for HP. If you find
this post useful click the Yes button. If I helped solve your
problem please mark this as a solution so others can find it
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.