Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP T730
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello, I recently purchased an HP T730 on Ebay.  This machine will eventually run a PFSene firewall but I've been making efforts to get the firmware up to date first.  I spent several hours trying to upgrade the BIOS, eventually only succeeding after installing windows on the Machine.  
 Bios is now at V01.15

WIndows Version 10 64 Bit

32GB Storage drive

8GB RAM

AMD RX-427BB

Other Data from ebay listing: W7 P3S25AT#ABA

At no point has Windows been able to run without crashing, both before and after the bios update. If I try and load the windows OS, it just puts itself into a boot loop.  The repair tool does nothing, and as this is a fresh image install, directly from Microsoft media creator (and a direct download, neither worked), I don't think the image is the issue.   For the same reason, I don't suspect malware, but if its possible for a virus to survive 4 fresh installs of windows, that is a possibility.   I can successfully boot into safe mode, thus how i was eventually able to flash the BIOS, but otherwise I can't do anything else.

How do I begin troubleshooting?  My main concern that is if this is hardware related, how do I identify what component is the issue, and whether or not I bought a clone (or a unit with fake parts)from ebay rather than genuine hardware.  Or can this machine just not handle windows? (That seems unlikely)

I've been up all night working on this, so I won't be answering immediately but look forward to waking up to your suggestions.

Thanks,

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

why use any Thin client PC for home use,????  AMD RX-427BB  !!

nor 30GB useless drive,  w10 will fail to upgrade this small. go to 128GB at the least.

never fill up any SSD over 50%

came new with these options.

8 GB MLC (multi-level cell)
16 GB MLC
16 GB UMLC (ultra multi-level cell)
32 GB MLC     X
32 GB UMLC   X?
64 GB MLC
128 GB MLC

this non PC has only one purpose in life to be cheap, be small , and only boot the OS over PXE subLAN. OS server
why pick this? non PC,  ?  the price ?  it is the last thing to own at home, I am so sorry to say that but is.
 but the SSD drive there is no good for w10  period
boot loops causes
1: SSD or HDD bad. boot drive.
2: install media bad w10
3: not removing install media after phase 1, and not stuck on boot to media install endlessly never getting to phase 1.
4: OS does not like this PC ,w10 Id bet does not even understand it is a trash thin client box. AMD RX-427BB
5: bad ram.
6 : Noisy PSU,  bad caps inside.
more there are more, things. (bad mobo) things inside shorted, or USB devices shorted.

NO warranty answers by me.
HP Recommended

there is  nothing personal about a thin client personal computers, PC. an oxymoron for sure. that phrase.

zero. it is useless outside of its business great realm, (domain)

buy a real PC, for sure.

IMO sorry ,   but no kidding be fun for me to watch you try that.  and then a real SSD 128GB installed, to boot.

never heard anyone ever do  that, on any forum.  

HP Recommended

I have tested w10 64bit on many PC on purpose that have no business running w10-64

one as old as 2005.   (even AMD Phenoms and CORE2 , end to end)

and learn that w10 fails on most "tells you NON COMPLIANT", but NOT ALL by fail grade 2, I mean the installer gets confused.

IT DOES THAT, on some OLD PCs.   thinking all is good but fails to install and work. (seen it loop in what I call Install fail grade 2 or confused)

I have not ever tried a thin client. i am too cheap to waste my effort on such a box of any kind. (and rare to see , unless fleabay)

thin client means missing most the good a parts that make up a good and preforming PC.

HP Recommended

I get it, Windows 10 Probably won't run on this machine. But it's for PFSense, not windows, so that's just fine.  The machine can't handle it is a better answer than finding out that it should be able to handle it and isn't, so I'll take that as good news.

Thanks

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.