Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY Recline 23-k400 TouchSmart All-in-One Desktop PC series
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

When I bought my new computer in 2012 I did a system recovery disk set and a bootable repair disk.  Well now I need them hard drive has failed!  I purchased a new hard drive and used the bootable repair disk.  But the 4 restore system disk do nothing.  What am I doing wrong?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi, @GUSGUS69

If the PC was previously upgraded to W10, you can always clean install W10 for free by using the Media Creation Tool at the link below.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

The tool will give you the option of making a bootable W10 USB installation flash drive, or you can save an ISO file which you later burn to a DVD, using your DVD burning program's burn ISO option.

When you get to the part of the installation script where you are asked to enter a product key, select the 'I don't have a product key' option (Skip), and W10 will install and automatically activate once you are connected to the internet.

Then you can install the drivers and available software from your PC's support page...

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-ENVY-Recline-23-k400-TouchSmart-All-in-One-Desktop-PC-series...

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
HP Recommended
HP Recommended

Hello,

If the recovery disk came with this PC they should work after you changed your hard drive. It appears that the disk may be damaged. So the following solution should allow you to get this correct:

Solution 1:Contact HP Support Team to verify your options to get replacement media:

Contact US: 1 (800) 474-6836 

Solution 2:HP Partner

You can also purchase new HP recovery software from our third-party vendor:

http://www.computersurgeons.com/p-11355-recovery-kit-438964-001-for-hp-model-number-dv4305us.aspx

Thank you for your Time,

Don't Forget Kudos

HP Recommended

Yeah I called that number several times.  Once you get connected to a Human they disconnect you!

HP Recommended

They dont have my model number.  But thanks!

HP Recommended

Hello,

If you have the new Hard Drive installed you need to obtain media to install the new OS; I also wanted to add that sending out the CDs because most companies stop doing this because of copyright issues with Windows Installation. So to get your hands on a new set of CD's from HP support may not be an option. 

Please send me a KUDOS for my efforts, as I always aim for exllence.

HP Recommended
Yeah I will never buy an HP again!! They don’t even give you the windows key code! Everyone else sticks a Microsoft sticker on your pc? Why did they now??? If I had the key code I could reinstall windows. But now I either have to buy a new version of windows. But a new computer. This is BS!! You try and get ahold of hp and they want money!!! What happened to the $1000 I spent 4 years ago?? At least you could answer my dam question. Not Happy!!!
HP Recommended

@GUSGUS69 wrote:
Yeah I will never buy an HP again!! They don’t even give you the windows key code! Everyone else sticks a Microsoft sticker on your pc? Why did they now??? If I had the key code I could reinstall windows. But now I either have to buy a new version of windows. But a new computer. This is BS!! You try and get ahold of hp and they want money!!! What happened to the $1000 I spent 4 years ago?? At least you could answer my dam question. Not Happy!!!

No.

You are wrong.

All the major manufacturers have stopped placing the CoA on the PC ever since Windows 7.

HP Recommended

Hi Ieee488,

I will state that if you have a warranty on the system you are entitled to your assistance with this system, than don't stop with seeking support. Please try our HP support once more if you get time and I only offered advice to assist with your issue. Have a great day and I hope that your issue gets resolved in a timely manner.

Sincerely,

ITGUY1887

HP Recommended

@ITGuy1887 wrote:

Hi Ieee488,

I will state that if you have a warranty on the system you are entitled to your assistance with this system, than don't stop with seeking support. Please try our HP support once more if you get time and I only offered advice to assist with your issue. Have a great day and I hope that your issue gets resolved in a timely manner.

Sincerely,

ITGUY1887

I have no idea what you are talking about.

I am not the OP.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.