Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Dear @GUSGUS69

Thank you for posting in the HP Support forum. Welcome !

I am sorry to hear about your issues.  If you are still here reading this and if you would like assistance, I'd be looking forward to your reply.

With regards to your comments about COA stickers with Windows key - keys are not available on stickers since Windows 8 was first released in year 2012, and this is due to Microsoft, not because HP wanted so. This applies to all OEM PC vendors. Here is more information >> http://www.cnet.com/news/windows-8-moves-to-bios-based-product-keys/

With regards to your HDD replacement - you didn't post what exactly doesn't work on the recovery discs you have created, no details how you used them, any error messages you may have encountered ??  As a general information, you should know that for the recovery discs to work, the new HDD needs to be the very same size, type and capacity as the original one - or bigger. Smaller may not work.

What is the operating system your computer originally arrived with (preinstalled) ? Is it Windows 8 (8.1) ?

Which country you purchased the PC from and where are you located ?

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013
HP Recommended
I did install a 2 tb drive as it was cheaper then a one tb. Could this be the reason the “create back up disk” are not working? And the system did come with windows 8.1. And I did the windows 10 free update.
HP Recommended

Hi, @GUSGUS69

If the PC was previously upgraded to W10, you can always clean install W10 for free by using the Media Creation Tool at the link below.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

The tool will give you the option of making a bootable W10 USB installation flash drive, or you can save an ISO file which you later burn to a DVD, using your DVD burning program's burn ISO option.

When you get to the part of the installation script where you are asked to enter a product key, select the 'I don't have a product key' option (Skip), and W10 will install and automatically activate once you are connected to the internet.

Then you can install the drivers and available software from your PC's support page...

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-ENVY-Recline-23-k400-TouchSmart-All-in-One-Desktop-PC-series...

HP Recommended

@GUSGUS69

Are you trying to use the bootable repair disk with the Recovery Media? The Recovery Media is bootable and should work without any other disks. IF you made the recovery disks using HP Recovery Manager?

However, as mentioned above by @Paul_Tikkanen the best option is to make a Windows 10 installer on usb flash drive and clean install it.

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

HP Recommended

This helped a bunch.  after I got the windows back on the hard drive I was able to reinstore from external hard drive...  Thanks..

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.