Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP 290 G1 MT business PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

hi everyone

I have this hard drive where from time to time I get at post the error hard disk 1 (3F1)

I did an extensive check with HP diagnostics tools it took about 12 hours and it passed with no errors 

crystal disk info says both hard drives health is good 

it doesn't happen every boot but this is a work pc with very important files and I really need to make sure it's safe, and it's not possible to have a backup in the mean time 

also I read that this error is for the drive that hosts the operating system is that true or it could be either one of the drives? 

any other way to check for problems that is more extensive and thorough?

1.PNG2.PNG

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@zanzibarjesk 

There is no way to make a drive "safe" -- such that it is guaranteed against failure.  All drives, including SSDs, will eventually fail -- and no one knows WHEN that will happen. I've had HDDs last ten years and more without issues; I've had HDDs fail totally within three months.

There is stuff you can do like RAID versions where you have two drives that mirror each other, and if one fails, you simply replace it and reimage it from the other drive.

But if that is not an option and you are unable, or unwilling, to make data backups, then you will have to live with data loss.

The drive manufacturers often provide their own utilities you can run to check the "health" of their drives -- and that gives you more reliable information than S.M.A.R.T.

You will have to search online to see if such utilities are available.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

@WAWood I know all of this and it's not what I am asking for I said that for the mean time I can't have a backup but it's planned

I just need to know for now

1. what is the cause of this error is it the drives or something else
  2. is it only related to the drive with the operating system installation
  3. more extensive and thorough test to help in the diagnostics 
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.