Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP EliteDesk 800 G1 SFF
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I picked up this system as a refurbished system at Microcenter  I chose it after downloading the manual from HP that talks about the parallel port and the connector listing with pictures of the system board show the internal Parallel Port Header.  However, In the BIOS setup (F10), the Security tab does not list the parallel port.  On my unit I see the internal Parallel port Header, but I can't find any way to enable it

if it does not appear in the F10 BIOS setup screen.  The HP Assistant software identifies the system board as 1998 with Bios L01 V02.71. 

Before you advise me to abandon Parallel port, I'm using the system to develop it as a VMWare host running VMWare Player 15 to support a UNIX guest OS.  I need the parallel port for the client that has a UNIX POS system that prints sales reports directly to a Parallel attached Okidata Microline printer. 

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi

So either buy a Parallel port header with a 24 pin connector and fit it, or perhaps a PCI plug-in board.

https://www.amazon.com/parallel-port-header/s?k=parallel+port+header

Then try and get it initialised.

C:\driverquery 

lists..       Parport --  Parallel port driver Kernel

Hopefully that helps.

HP Recommended

Thanks for taking the time to reply.   I had purchased the Startec PLATE25F16LP header to external Parallel cable connector and had installed it but my diagnostic software (Microscope 2000)  can't see the Parallel port and performing the Port test with internal loopback and an external loopback plug fails.  That's when I dug into the BIOS and can't find a setting to enable the parallel port. No  software that I downloaded SIS Sandra will detect a parallel port on this box. The bios has been locked in some fashion to prevent accessing advanced BIOS setup options   This issue needs HP support tech to explain what to do to modify the BIOS (download a new version?) to allow me to run the BIOS setup and "see" a parallel port. 

HP Recommended

Hi

HP may help with the BIOS extensions if you ask, and can prove a need and will pay for it.  It is normally to unlock a BIOS for password amendment I believe, but ought to help you.

You do have C:\Windows\System32\drivers\ParPort.sys ??

It is running as a Service?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.