Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Envy Desktop 700-xt
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Called Costco to get tech help with an HP Envy Desktop. The tech instructed me to do a hard drive system recovery even though I had recovery disks. . .

The computer screen showed 100% software installation recovery in under two hours and the machine went into "turn on turn off" mode.

Problem: The "Turn on turn off" mode is still going on, and now it's been a full 6 hours and then some.

Question #1: Can the desktop be manually shut down to stop the endless "Turn on turn off" process without harming the computer?

Question #2: Any guidance regarding such a stoppage and then redoing the system recovery once again, but this time with the recovery disks?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Theoretically the Recovery from the hard drive using Recovery Manager F11 should produce the same results as the Recovery Disk set.  The Recovery disk set will probably overwrite everything and then give the factory settings.  The result should be the same, however, I see no harm in doing it.  What have you done to try to get out if the "turn on, turn off"?

On thing to try before using the disk set - unplug the PC from the wall.  Then press the power button, which would turn the PC on if plugged in.  Hold the power button in for 30 seconds to one minute.  Then plug the power cord back in and try to power up normally.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Theoretically the Recovery from the hard drive using Recovery Manager F11 should produce the same results as the Recovery Disk set.  The Recovery disk set will probably overwrite everything and then give the factory settings.  The result should be the same, however, I see no harm in doing it.  What have you done to try to get out if the "turn on, turn off"?

On thing to try before using the disk set - unplug the PC from the wall.  Then press the power button, which would turn the PC on if plugged in.  Hold the power button in for 30 seconds to one minute.  Then plug the power cord back in and try to power up normally.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

Two big "Thumbs Up" for your suggested solution o' Wise One. After plugging the machine and pressing down on the "on-off" button for 1 minute, the computer was plugged back in and booted up normally.

I appreciated your answer that from a theoretical standpoint, the disc-method and the hard-drive-method should work the same way and achieve the same result.

In answer to your question, nothing was done to the computer during the interim. It remained untouched by human hands machine until after reply was read and your suggested solution followed.

Best Regards y Atentamente,

FedericoNation

HP Recommended

I am glad that little trick fixed the problem.  Thanks for reporting back.  It makes my day when a plan comes together!!

I'm not an HP employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.