Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP EliteDesk 800 G4 SFF
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I cannot for the life of me get my EliteDesk computer to boot off a USB stick. The USB stick is bootable, I tried it in a VM, My (HP) laptop also boots off it.

I tried pressing esc to get a boot menu but the USB stick does not appear in the list, not does "USB" appear in the list.

I tried pressing F10 and switch off SecureBoot, but apparently that merely disables the keyboard. (I had to re-attach the original HP keyboard directly to the computer to type four numbers and get my computer back after I tried that.)

I also tried setting a boot delay of 60 seconds because I thought that would display a boot menu. But it really did just delay the boot process by 60 seconds...

Now I am at a loss. I have no idea how to get this PC to boot from my USB stick.

Any ideas?

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Grüezi @ajbrehm ,

if your PC does run in UEFI Mode, you might try to build a bootable USB drive using Rufus. In Rufus choose the Partition Scheme GPT
Once the Boot drive is ready, put it in the PC and power it on. 

Grüße 

Uli

*** If my post helped, click the thumbs-up symbol to say thanks ***
*** Please mark
Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem ***
I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP!
HP Recommended

Hiya,

You are solving the wrong problem. I have a bootable USB drive. I did power on (and reboot) the PC. The problem is, it doesn't boot off the USB stick and I don't know how to get it to boot off the USB stick. The USB stick does not appear in the boot menu and the PC simply boots the installed Windows.

HP Recommended

And it might not appear in the menue, because of the wrong partition scheme. 

*** If my post helped, click the thumbs-up symbol to say thanks ***
*** Please mark
Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem ***
I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP!
HP Recommended

I don't think the partition scheme is wrong. It does boot a Parallels VM on a Mac and my HP laptop.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.