Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY Desktop - 750-514
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Need to use my D drive for storage, C drive is SSD with opertating system.

Sorry folks and thanks for answers, I need to clarify.

This is a brand new computer so 128 gigs is fine for the os. I just want to keep it that way and put everything on data drive.

I am running windows 10, if I just change the default drive to D in the system/ storage section will that be enough or do I need to create folders, ie: program files, documents, pics?

im new to using a help forum so forgive any errors.

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi sossity

The specs for your PC show a 128GB SSD and a 1TB HDD.

If your PC was my PC I would replace the current SSD with a larger SSD.

Copy the operating system from the 128GB SSD to the new SSD. Remove the 128GB SSD. Install the new SSD on SATA0.

I would guess you are running out of space because every program you install defaults to the 128GB SSD.

If you want to continue using the current storage configuration you would have to uninstall every program you now have installed. Then you would have to reinstall each program using a custom install so you could direct Windows to store program files on the 1TB HDD.

You would have to change other system defaults so data is stored on the 1TB HDD instead of the 128GB SSD.

Good to see you have confidence in this forum. We will do our best to solve your problem.

Forum Members are here to assist you. :HeartEyes:

Click on "Thumbs Up" if we have provided guidance to solve your problem.

Please Give us a solution if we have provided the "best" answer.

Tom

HP Recommended

> Need to use my D drive for storage, C drive is SSD with operating system.

While you could spend over $300 US to purchase a 1TB SSD disk-drive, that is expensive, not needed, and complicated to "clone" your current disk-drives onto a new disk-drive, and requires you to be able to open-up your computer, physically remove the current disk-drive(s), and to connect the new disk-drive. 

How full is the current 'C:' drive? 

Windows will take 10 GB to 20 GB for itself, leaving lots of unallocated disk-space for you to install programs.

How many programs have you installed?

What you need to do is to use "Save As" when saving a file, and use that dialog-window to select a folder that you have created on the 'D:' drive.

Note that when installing a program, the installer usually gives you an option as to "where" to install the software, probably "defaulting" to something like 'C:\Program Files\Adobe', if installing some software from Adobe.

Just change 'C:' to 'D:' before clicking the "Install" button.

If your 'C:' disk-drive is really running-out of available disk-space, you can "uninstall" a program, to free-up some disk-space.  Then, just reinstall that program, directing it, as above, to the 'D:' drive.

Have you run the "Disk Cleanup" application in Windows?

Run it again, and choose "cleanup system files", to remove some files that Windows Update "archived", because newer versions of those files have been installed.

----------------

Welcome to this forum.

Please click the purple/white "Thumbs Up" icon for every response that is helpful.

Also, please click "Accept As Solution" for the best response.

HP Recommended

Hi,

All said and one, there are some softwares for example office 365 suite  will only get installed in C drive where windows is installed.  like wise there are quite a few  softwares,  where while installing  does not even give an option to customs installation or for change of dirve.  In such cases, we are left wtih no choice but to install it on C drive which has just 128GB Cap.

Looks we can't upgrade to any cap of SSD for C drive on HP Envyx360 15t which has a restrication to increase he C drive apart from big hassel of removing the back cover by ourselves to fix the new SSD.   I guess at the best we can upgrade it to 256 GB  and not more .

I wish HP should have built their laptops with atleast 256 SSD for C drive

HP Recommended

@TRBN wrote:

Looks we can't upgrade to any capacity of SSD for C drive on HP Envyx360 15t which has a restriction to increase The C drive apart from big hassle of removing the back cover by ourselves to fix the new SSD.   I guess at the best we can upgrade it to 256 GB  and not more .

I see no reason why your computer is not compatible with any larger SSD (256MB or 512MB or 1024MB).

In all cases, someone will have to (partially) disassemble the computer, to change the SSD -- usually that is NOT a "big hassle".  I think that the "big hassle" would be using "disk-cloning" to copy everything from the current SSD to the larger-capacity SSD.

HP Recommended

Appreciate your encourging response.  Please do suggest me a right 512 SSD  from any make which is suitable for my HP laptop  model 15-bp194cl  so that quickly i can upgrade it before the data on c drive starts growing.  Right now  since the laptop is new, I dont have much data and can manage to rebuild on my new ssd

.  Look forward for your help please

HP Recommended

@TRBN wrote:

Please do suggest me a right 512 SSD  from any make which is suitable for my HP laptop 

I have not encountered a "bad" manufacturer of SSD.

So, look for special "sale" prices, such as "Black Friday" as part of the USA's "Thanksgiving" weekend in November.

HP Recommended

Hi,

Thank you for your good suggestions and for sure i wait for Thanks giving day sale for upgrading my SSD.  Meanwhile, appreciate if your could confirm whether this particular SSD will work on my Envy 15-bp194cl along with 1 TB HD already there in the machine.

While going thro'the HP users manual, they were suggesting  512 GB 2280 M2 PCIe 3X4 SS NVMe SSD with TLC.

I am bit confussed which one works with my machine  keeping the exisiting 1 TB HD in SATA 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.