Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
h270
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello I Have An Old 8gb ram 2400Mhz And I bought a new 8gb stick 3000Mhz I want them to work On 2400Mhz But they Only run On 2133Mhz Help PLease + I have a h270 With an old BIOS 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Elyes 

IF your BIOS has detail timing settings for RAM, then you will be able to change the speed; if it does not, you will not.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@Elyes 

You can't do that.  When you are using RAM of different speeds, the memory manager automatically throttles back the faster RAM to match the speed of the slower RAM.  It can't run sticks at different speeds at the same time.

HP Recommended

SIr My slowest ram speed is 2400Mhz And now they both work on only 2133mhz

HP Recommended

@Elyes 

IF your BIOS has detail timing settings for RAM, then you will be able to change the speed; if it does not, you will not.

HP Recommended

Would It appear If I Update My Bios?

HP Recommended

@Elyes 

Sorry, but we have no way of knowing that -- and my guess would be that NO, it would not make a difference because BIOS updates are most often done to include support for new processors, not for routine settings features.

If you DO decide to do the Update,  BEFORE doing any BIOS update, ensure that BOTH of the following are true:
1) You have a way to save off the current BIOS to some media that you can later use to restore it, if needed
2) You have a way to boot the PC such that you can restore the BIOS from the saved media, in the event that the BIOS update fails or otherwise trashes your PC

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.