Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion All-in-One - 27-r045qe
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

I bought a HP Pavilion All-in-One - 27-r045qe in November and am generally happy with it. One thing I found irregular or inconvenient is that I have to press "Fn" key to make function keys F1 ~ F12 work as standard keys (without "Fn" key pressed, F1-F12 act for chaning brightness, volume etc).

I googled a lot and found some possibie solutions like disabling "Action Keys Mode" in BIOS or pressing "Fn" plus "ESC" or "Caps Lock" or even pressing "CTRL" plus "ESC" to switch the mode. But none of them seems to disable or revert the combination of "Fn" and functions keys (there is no "Action Keys Mode" or similar menu in BIOS). The wireless keyboard does not have a "Fn Lock" key and there is no indication telling me if function keys work as action keys or standard keys.

Does anyone know how to disable, revert or switch the "Fn" key and function keys conbimation for this particular model of Windows 10 desktop? Maybe different key combinations I haven't tried? Setting in Control Panel or registry? HP utilities?

Thanks,

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

> The wireless keyboard does not have a "Fn Lock" key

What is the manufacturer and model-number of that keyboard ?

I will do an "image-search" on Google, to see if I can see such a "button" or "key" for your device.

I have a "Microsoft Digital Media Pro Keyboard" (not wireless), and it has a 'F LOCK' button -- not 'FN LOCK'.

When that button is pressed, a lamp on the keyboard lights up.

Adjacent to that lamp is another lamp for 'Num Lock' for the numeric keypad, and another lamp for 'Caps Lock'.

HP Recommended

Thank you for your reply.

I don't think I can find manufacturer and model-number. There is something on the back-side of the keyboard but it's too pale and small to read. It's something like "IC: 5524A-TPCC002K" and "FCC: (something similar to IC:.xxx)".

I looked into the Device Manager but the keyboard is just "HID Keyboard Device" with "Manufactuerer: (Standard keyboards)".

The PC's Serial No and Product No are:

Serial No: 8CC7400N5G
Product No: X6B88AA#ABA

Let me try attaching a shot of the keyboard. As you could see, there is no 'F LOCK' button or 'FN LOCK' and no 'Num Lock' as it has a number pad. I tried the key with the lock mark (at upper right corner) but it is for windows lock screen.

Thanks for your help!

HP desktop keyboardHP desktop keyboard

HP Recommended

From the image you supplied of your keyboard:

TOP ROW:

* ESCape

1 - mute the volume
2 - less volume
3 - more volume
4 - rewind
5 - play/pause
6 - fast forward
7 - small brightness
8 - big brightness
9 - search
10 - toggle display (only internal, only external, both)
11 - ?
12 - cogged gear - settings ?

* PRinT SCreen
* undecipherable
* SCRoll LocK
* pause
* clear
* calculator ?
* undecipherable
* keyboard ?
* lock

Without the part-number for the keyboard, the items in RED are just guesses as to their function.

HP Recommended

From your serial-number (which you probably should not have posted):

Service type

Wty: HP Support for Initial Setup

Status

Active: Covered under Manufacturer warranty, 12 months remaining.

Start Date - November 16, 2017

End Date - December 10, 2018

Service Level

Std Office Hrs Std Office Days
NextAvail TechResource Remote
2 Hr Remote Response
Unlimited Named Callers

Deliverables

Initial Setup Assistance

So, you can contact HP, and get free support on how to use your keyboard, for the next 364 days. :generic:
=================

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05648042?jumpid=reg_r1002_usen_c-001_title_r0002

HP wireless keyboard with volume control

• Wireless technology: Nordic Single chip nRF24LE1/LU1 OTP
• Effective distance (typical): 10 m (32.8 ft)
• Batteries: 2 AAA alkaline batteries
• Battery life: 12 months (typical)
• Dimensions (approximate):
• Height: 17 mm (0.7 in)
• Width: 114mm (4.5 in)
• Length: 409 mm (16.1 in)
• Special keys:
•   Mute
•   Volume Up
•   Volume Down

HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply. I will try contacting HP customer support.

I didn't know I should not have presented the serial number. Thanks for your advice.

HP Recommended

Can you post a close-up, in-focus, picture of the keys to the right of the 'F12' key?

-----------

Welcome to this forum.

Please click the purple/white "Thumbs Up" icon for every response that is helpful.

Also, please click "Accept As Solution" for the best response.

HP Recommended

I have pasted two photos around F12 key. Thanks.

Keys around F12 No.1Keys around F12 No.1Keys around F12 No.2Keys around F12 No.2

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.