Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

First off, I realize that all tech help sites don't offer help to someone trying to login to a computer but they don't have the password.  THAT IS NOT THE CASE HERE - I do have the password and can login just fine. Please read on to see what I need help with.

My daughter gave me her old HP Desktop computer when she bought her new one. I opened it and cleaned out the years of build-up. Then Uninstalled all the junk and personal files, etc. I then Updated the Windows 10 Home OS to the newest 2004 version and did a lot of things to make it run nice a smooth again. It works really good, but I don't need it as I have several other computer and want to give it to someone in need. 

When I turn on the computer it opens a beautiful image and gives the date and time. Then I have to press the Enter key and another screen opens and asks to type in the password.  I do this and it opens just fine to the Windows 10 desktop, but I don't want to give it to someone with a password they probably don't like or want. 

How do I go about removing the need to put in a password at all, or maybe change the password to something the new user would want to use.

I would really like to just not have to enter anything at all.  As I said, I do have the password and the only one on the computer (so I have Administrator rights). I'm sure it won't let me do anything without putting in the old password first (for security reasons and that is OK as I have the password). What are the steps to do this.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

Watch this video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=42EEJh5YIk4&feature=emb_logo

You don't need to provide a password hint.  You can leave all 3 boxes empty.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi:

Watch this video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=42EEJh5YIk4&feature=emb_logo

You don't need to provide a password hint.  You can leave all 3 boxes empty.

HP Recommended

Thanks Paul  - perfect answer as usual!

That video makes it real simple to follow. 

Will remove the need to enter a password before I give it to someone or if I help them set it up and they want to use a password I can help them do that.

Larry

HP Recommended

You're very welcome, Larry.

HP Recommended

Hi Paul,

I followed your instructions on removing the login password and it worked perfectly, as you new it would.  I went into "Accounts" and then selected "Sign-In Options" . It asked me for the current password which I then typed in and pressed "Next" and then "Change" and made sure all 3 fields were left blank and click "Finish". Restarted the computer and no more password being asked for. Worked Perfect! 

Thanks again!

HP Recommended

Anytime.

Glad to have been of assistance.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.