Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP ProDesk 400 G4
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I got delivered today a HP ProDesk 400 G4 (code 1JJ50EA) which I didn't powered on yet. 

It came with a Windows 10 Pro 64bit license, preinstalled on the HDD.

I did not powered yet for the first time the PC as I want to replace the HDD with an SSD as primary drive , and use the HDD as a secondary one.

How can I do this safely ?

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

The product key is in the BIOS. 

You can make your own plain W10 installation media by using the W10 media creation tool from the link below.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

The W10 Pro key in your PC's BIOS should automatically work with the new installation of W10.

Then install the drivers and available software from your PC's support page.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@SCC4

Hello;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

My understanding is that you want to migrate the preinstalled OS from your HDD to an SDD without turning on the PC, right?

That can be done, using another PC, but it is easy only if the SDD is the same capacity or larger, as the HDD; otherwise, you would have to power on the PC and shrink the partitions down to be small enough for them to fit easily onto the SDD with a little room to spare.

Once that is done, you can "clone" the HDD contents to an SDD easily.

What I recommend is the following:
1) Download and install Macrium Reflect (MR)
2) Connect the new drive to the PC using a USB-to-Hard-Drive drive adapter (like the one illustrated below)
3) Follow the instructions in this link: http://knowledgebase.macrium.com/display/KNOW/Cloning+a+disk
4) Shutdown the PC when done
5) Swap the drives and reboot the PC.

You should boot from the new drive without any problems.

Typical USB-to-Hard-Drive adapter:

USB-Drive-Adapter.jpg

Good Luck

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Hi:

The product key is in the BIOS. 

You can make your own plain W10 installation media by using the W10 media creation tool from the link below.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

The W10 Pro key in your PC's BIOS should automatically work with the new installation of W10.

Then install the drivers and available software from your PC's support page.

HP Recommended

@Wawood thank you for your answer 

What I want to do is: swap the existing HDD with a brand new SSD (Intel 540s 180GB) and use the existing 1TB HDD as a secondary drive and do a clean install on the SSD.

I don't really need the original system image which can be found now on the 1 TB HDD that came with the desktop. I just want a clean install on the SSD, format the 1TB HDD and the most important thing, keep my license that came with the computer. 

@Paul_Tikkanen

I had that in mind as well but I wasn't sure if I do so the computer will have the license stored in BIOS.

I tried to download a copy of Windows 10 Pro using the Media Creation Tool, however, I cannot find the proper version listed. I selected the language then I only have these editions available for download

Windows 10

Windows 10 Home Single Language

Architecture (32/64bit)

cannot find the Pro edition which I am licensed to use.

HP Recommended

Hi, @SCC4 :

You want the file labeled W10.

That one automatically works with the regular home  or pro key.

Download the 64 bit version.

HP Recommended

Alright. I will do so and hopefully the license will be embedded into the BIOS, otherwise it will be a pain and I cannot use the PC.

HP Recommended

You should be fine.

HP Recommended

I have used the Media Creation Tool from Microsoft's website and got the latest W10 Pro Creators Update. License was stored in BIOS, activated by itself digitally. I am happy as everything went just fine.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.