Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
ENVY 23se-d494 All-In-One Desktop
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

When I purchased my desktop it came with Windows 8.1 OS.

I updated my desktop to Windows 10.

I want to go back to Windows 8.1, but I cannot find the product key on or in my desktop.

Any help would greatly be appreciated, thanks!

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Spears_24 

I think you get Windows 10 key now. Windows 8.1 key is overwritten. But please try the following tool

https://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/

Regards,

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Hello
since windows 8 the key is registered in the bios!
The software indicates here that it only works with the paid version!
So it may not be enough.
In general there is no need to give the key, it does not always work because it is possible that we cannot pass the stage!
So you just have to skip the step where you give the key, just click on next, if the option is there.
Otherwise, you have to use software that can find the key in the bios:

https://www.ryadel.com/en/extract-recover-windows-10-product-key-bios-uefi-registry-serial-number/

otherwise, it's easier for me to find in French!
but you have this option, you can find the same in your language if needed

https://www.pcastuces.com/pratique/astuces/3604.htm

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

Hi, @Spears_24 

Windows 8.1 will not ask for a product key as long as you install the version of W8.1 that came with your PC.

Yours came with W8.1 'standard.'

Download the plain W8.1 64 bit ISO file from the link below.

Download Windows 8.1 Disc Image (ISO File) (microsoft.com)

Use the Microsoft tool that I zipped up and attached below that you will need to transfer the ISO file to a USB flash drive or DVD so that it is bootable.

If you create a bootable W8.1 USB installer, plug it into your PC's USB port.

Turn on the PC, immediately tap/press the ESC key to get the menu of options.

Select the F9 boot options menu, and from that, select the USB flash drive with W8.1 on it and press the Enter key.

The PC should boot from the W8.1 installation flash drive.

When you get to the part of the installation that asks 'Where do you want to install Windows,' delete every partition on the hard drive, leaving just one partition of unallocated space.   Click Next, and W8.1 should install.

After W8.1 has completed installing, you can install the drivers and available software from your PC's support page.

HP ENVY TouchSmart 23se-d494 All-in-One Desktop PC (ENERGY STAR) Software and Driver Downloads | HP®...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.