Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 750-137c
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

I am unable to auto repair or restore my HP Envy model 750-137c after numerous attempts. I ran through the complete set of diagnostic tests for the system , both short and extensive. I ran the extensive on all systems for 4 cycles and everything came out good. I believe my grandson turned off the machine during a Windows update so I ordered a Windows 10 repair cd which would not boot up at start even after selecting the drive as the boot device and disabling the security boot. Being an old-timer, I eventually enter DOS and tried to run the disk but got an error message that my system had  the incorrect version of Windows on my computer, which is not true. I think my windows somehow has become corrupt to the point that it will not function. My question is should my next step be to replace my hard drive and install a new version of Windows 10, or could I format my C drive from DOS and install a new copy of Windows 10, or the ultimate.....spray a can of WD 40 in the drive slot and hope for the best? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I know enough to be dangerous, not competent. Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Mfleishm 

I hope you're JOKING about the WD40!!

As to the Windows Repair CD not working, I have no idea what's on those, as the can contain just about anything -- so I have no idea why yours did not work.  Most of the time, they are a WinRE image that only repairs boot issues, not serious issues with Windows itself.

Since your PC was already running Win10, you can make your own Win10 media, reinstall it, and it will reactivate automatically -- but there is a catch.  If you can boot into Windows, you can simply REPAIR your current setup without losing anything.  But if you can't, you would have to do a clean-install and since that starts by reformatting the drive, you would essentially lose everything on your PC.

If that is what you want to do, then you need access to another PC that you can use to download the files from Microsoft and create install media -- using this link:  Windows 10 download

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@Mfleishm 

I hope you're JOKING about the WD40!!

As to the Windows Repair CD not working, I have no idea what's on those, as the can contain just about anything -- so I have no idea why yours did not work.  Most of the time, they are a WinRE image that only repairs boot issues, not serious issues with Windows itself.

Since your PC was already running Win10, you can make your own Win10 media, reinstall it, and it will reactivate automatically -- but there is a catch.  If you can boot into Windows, you can simply REPAIR your current setup without losing anything.  But if you can't, you would have to do a clean-install and since that starts by reformatting the drive, you would essentially lose everything on your PC.

If that is what you want to do, then you need access to another PC that you can use to download the files from Microsoft and create install media -- using this link:  Windows 10 download

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Thanks for your assistance. I got my machine up and running. As for the WD 40, that's a Wisconsin farm boy fix for practically everything. Thank you again. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.