Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Slimline Desktop - 260-p026 (ENERGY STAR)
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

After the update, I could no longer have a "no option" startup.  I am the only one using this computer; therefore, I do not need a specialized log-in feature.  I have tried different methods to remove passwords, codes, etc.  I want to be able to start immediately rather than go through some rigmarole to start.  Can you help?

Would appreciate any help!

Thank you,

Termite3030

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

run "netplwiz" from the windows search bar

uncheck where the system requires a password

Enter your username and password so the system will log you in automatically.

If you setup win10 using an email then you must use that email and password and NOT your local username password.

ie:  If you have a Microsoft account then you need to use the username password (credentials) of that account

I recommend you use a 4 digit PIN to log in .

Enter "hello" in the windows search bar and select the option to log in using a 4 digit pin.  hint:  1234 will not work.   cannot be that simple.

Thank you for using HP products and posting to the community.
I am a community volunteer and do not work for HP. If you find
this post useful click the Yes button. If I helped solve your
problem please mark this as a solution so others can find it
HP Recommended

No one uses this computer but me.  I don't want any sign-in options.  I want my ordinary startup pic to appear with my name, etc.  That's all.

Now can you help me?

HP Recommended

The system and version of windows you have requires login credentials.  Using netplwiz you can arrange to be logged in automatically.

Here is a walk-through on how to do it

https://www.cnet.com/tech/services-and-software/automatically-log-in-to-your-windows-10-pc/

Some operating system, such as Linux mint, ask if you want to skip the log in process.  Microsoft windows does not offer that choice, sorry.

The Dell salesman that sold me my Area51 configured his picture as the default image for new accounts.  I assume you have a picture you want.   This shows how to set up a default image

https://www.maketecheasier.com/change-default-user-account-picture-windows10/

HP Recommended

Didn't work.  No user account box showed up.

HP Recommended

@termite3030 wrote:

Didn't work.  No user account box showed up.

You may have a corrupted register.  Before looking at that problem please confirm the following did or did not happen

1. You entered NETPLWIZ into the windows search bar

BeemerBiker_0-1652888842923.png

2) the following dialog box popped up.

BeemerBiker_1-1652888903631.png

If the above did not pop up then you need to create a new local account and make it an administrator account.   That will get you a new and clean registry (unless the system has become corrupted).   Lemme know if we need to do that.

HP Recommended

A dialog box appeared, but that was as far as I could go.

HP Recommended

@termite3030 wrote:

A dialog box appeared, but that was as far as I could go.

Unfortunately, 

Murphy’s Law: Nothing is as easy as it looks. Everything takes longer than you expect.

You will have to do something to fix this problem.  If you want to fix it yourself you need to explain what happened after the dialog box appeared any why you could not get any further.  

It may be convent or possibly necessary to take the system to a technician have have them do it for you.

If in USA there are fixit's, UbreakIfix and lot of small repair centers at various retail stores.  You can ask HP if you want

https://www.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp/ww-contact-us.html

what happened to the smart friend account you had?

HP Recommended

I do have a Smart Friend Account.  I guess I should get in touch with them.

HP Recommended

I have done everything you suggested, and nothing works.  I ran "netplwiz," and none of the elements were checked to begin.

I am going to try "Hello" option.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.