Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion Slimline 400-034
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have an older Pavilion Slimline 400-034 desktop computer. I have an older iOmega Zip 250 drive that I wanted to connect and check some older zip discs before I get rid of them. I installed the original iOmega software from an original product disc. Everything seemed to load fine. I thought I set up the compatibility to an older version of Windows. It asked me to restart, but ever since then, every time I try to restart the computer, I get a black screen with no cursor, but I can see the monitor flashing. I am somewhat computer literate, but don't know how to fix this issue. 

16 REPLIES 16
HP Recommended

It would help if the version of iOmega Zip 250 drive was given, as there are several versions.  Some use USB interface or other versions do not use USB.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

It's an IOmega Zip 250 which connects via USB. The software I installed was IOmegaware Version 2.1.

HP Recommended

Does it start up OK, if the IOmega Zip 250  zip drive is not connected?

I found this.  Look in device manager once you get the computer to start.

https://www.tenforums.com/drivers-hardware/37758-zip-drives-windows-10-a.html

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

The Zip drive is not connected. I can't get the computer to boot at all. I have a black screen that flashes. No cursor. I don't even know how to try and get it to reboot (F10, F12, etc.).

HP Recommended

At this point, I could care less about using the Zip drive. I need to be able to reboot my computer and uninstall the software.

HP Recommended

First, try this.  Unplug the power cord and then press and hold the start button for 20 - 30 seconds.  Plug the power cord back and disconnect everything but the monitor, keyboard and mouse, then try a normal power up.  You might need to repeat.

Then if no joy, leave everything as in the last test but start tapping Esc key before the start button.  Keep tapping the Esc key to see if  a popup menu appearing after power up.  If no joy there, it is going to be more difficult.  Report back with any progress and what happened during these tests.

I'm not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

I was able to use the ESC key trick and a menu popped up in a blue box. It had the following.........

Continue Startup

System Information

Change Language

Diagnostics (F2)

Boot Menu (F9)

Computer Setup (F10)

System Recovery (F11)

Network Boot (F12)

Utilities

Run UEFI Application..........

Where do I go from here? I tried continue startup, but that just sent me to the black flashing screen. I did the ESC key thing again and came back to the above menu.

HP Recommended

OK, making progress.  Just to verify nothing has failed, when that menu comes up again run the F2 diagnostics.

If everything passes, then the next step is to get into safe mode.  See if you can follow the directions from this link

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12376/windows-10-start-your-pc-in-safe-mode

Scroll down to the "From a black or blank screen"

Here is the first part of that text

Before you enter safe mode, you need to enter the Windows Recovery Environment (winRE). To do this, you will repeatedly turn your device off, then on:

1. Hold down the power button for 10 seconds to turn off your device.
  2. Press the power button again to turn on your device.
  3. On the first sign that Windows has started (for example, some devices show the manufacturer’s logo when restarting) hold down the power button for 10 seconds to turn off your device.
  4. Press the power button again to turn on your device.
  5. When Windows restarts, hold down the power button for 10 seconds to turn off your device.
  6. Press the power button again to turn on your device.
  7. Allow your device to fully restart. You will enter winRE.

I'm not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

I ran the F2 diagnostics and everything passed. On a few of the tests, I only ran the quick tests, because it said it could take 2 hours or more to complete.

I followed the instructions to try and go into safe mode. However, when I got to number 3, there was never any sign that Windows has started. The black flashing screen only continued.

Something interesting happened, however. The flashing stopped at one point, the fan on the PC stopped, I saw the words "no signal" come up on my monitor, the monitor indicator light went from green to yellow, and then the black flashing screen began again.

I saw a "system recovery" tab on the menu previously when I hit the ESC button to start the computer. Is that different from the Windows Recovery Environment I need to be in?

Once again, I'm at a standstill.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.