Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
K1P14EC#ABA
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I installed a 32bit Kali Linux light operating system on a 64bit operating system by creating a bootable device using a flash disk. When l restarted the laptop after the installation, l could not access the windows operating system. It said boot device not found, please install an operating system. I want to access the windows operating system together with the files and apps in the windows operating system

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi

Kali is not very friendly.

So was it installed as a Secure Boot / GPT  style.

Making it Legacy boot probably negates the windows install.

It may have 2 boot MANAGERS (I got 5) Secure and Legacy.

Boot Man x 5.jpg

If in doubt please ask.

HP Recommended

@Lil_Boy_Blueis correct.  Most likely installing Kali Linux altered the boot manager for Windows.  If the Windows install is still there, it can be just a matter of getting the boot manager for the Kali Linux to be adjusted to co-exist with Windows.  That should have been part of installing Kali Linux on a Windows drive.  Use the drive utilities of Kali Linux to explore the hard drive to see if the Windows partition is still there.  Then modify the boot manager to accommodate both installs.

In checking on the Kali Linux OS, Kali Linux is a fantastic operating system for penetration testing and security evaluation.

Perhaps the way to use that OS would be better to use as a Live OS, instead of installing along side a Windows OS that you intend to use for regular purposes.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.