Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Gaming Desktop 690-0067c

My PC's hard disk died two days ago.  I had Windows 10 Home Version 22H2 installed.   I bought a brand new 1 TB SSD and proceeded to install Win 10 via Media Creation Tool.  I was not able to complete the task and after contacting Microsoft they told me that I had to install Windows 8.1 first as this was the native OS in my PC.  Unfortunately I don't have the Win 8.1 key.

I would appreciate any assistance.  I intend to install Win 8.1 then immediately upgrade to Windows 10 as I have a valid digital license.

PLEASE HELP.  Thanks, Christian

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi, Christian:

According to the product specs for your PC, it definitely came with W10 from HP.

HP Pavilion 690-0067c Gaming Desktop PC Product Specifications | HP® Customer Support

What I recommend you do is to use the HP cloud recovery tool and a 32 GB USB flash drive to create a bootable USB recovery drive that will reinstall Windows, the drivers and the software that originally came with your PC.

Here is an info link for how to use the utility.

HP Consumer PCs - Using the HP Cloud Recovery Tool in Windows 11 and 10 | HP® Customer Support

You will have to use the utility on another PC, so you will need to enter your notebook's product number in the tool's search window in order to proceed to make the recovery media.

Your PC's product number is:  3LA37AA#ABA

HP Recommended

Hi Paul, I wish to truly thank you from the bottom of my heart!!! You saved me. I was able to restore my PC.

Thank you again,

Christian

HP Recommended

You're very welcome, Christian.

HP Recommended

Hi, I spoke too soon.  The PC went through the process of installing the HP Recovery and everything went fine until ... the very end. Windows started to load up and it froze at the below image.   I then took another identical 1TB SSD and repeated the process to eliminate any possible issue with the hard disk.  The result was identical - the system froze exactly at the same spot AFTER performing all the tasks... Do you have any suggestions?

Thank you again for your help.

Christian

After the PC rebooted a bunch of time it finally showed the Frozen screen.jpg

HP Recommended

Hi, Christian:

When you used the installation media you created with the media creation tool, did it get stuck in the same place?

I've only used the HP cloud recovery tool once to restore two HP 255 G7 notebooks and I didn't encounter any problems with it.

So unfortunately, I don't know what you can do to fix that problem since there is no way for the user to intervene in the cloud recovery tool installation process.

HP Recommended

Hi Paul,

I followed step by step the instructions from the link and as per this video that I found in the article you have provided. https://youtu.be/P7AwuKNJKS4 

The process was smooth and no hiccups whatsoever,  only when it did the final reboot and the screen in the image appeared the system froze. 

Like I wrote, to eliminate the possibility that it was a hard disk issue I utilized a second identical SSD and I got the same result.  Grasping on mirrors now...  

Please let me know if you have any other suggestions.  

Thanks,

Christian

HP Recommended

Unfortunately, I don't have any ideas for you to try.

I never had that problem before.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.