Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Laptop 14-ce3xx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My laptop says that it has 93.9GB left and that 476GB has been used in apps, however, when I check my apps to delete the heavy ones there are only a few apps with the biggest one being 556MB. I can't think of any way that the few apps I have would ever add up to more than at the maximum 50GB let alone 476GB. I did Disk Clean-Up, I cleared my cache and my temporary files, I recycled my bin and checked the file sizes of all my applications. I removed most documents from this laptop to a back-up hard drive. Nothing really changed except 10 GB or so. Help would be appreciated as I need my laptop for college work and I had to delete my adobe applications until I figure out what's taking up so much space.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Theevs 

You are correct - if you have 93.9 GB left then you cannot be using 476 GB on that disk.

One very quick way to find out where the data on the machine is located is to use a software that provides a check in both size and percentage.

Tree Size Free

The software works at least on Windows V1909 and likely on newer versions of Windows as well.

One thought on the subject:

I pulled one of the Specifications for this series:

The main (and likely only) disk is 128GB.

This is not a lot of room for "on system" storage.

It is adequate as long as you store almost everything you can in "off line", for example, on an SD card or in Cloud Storage.

What is using the space on the computer?

Windows takes a chunk of that, of course.

The next larger "space hog" is likely your account.

Tree Size will very quickly tell you what space is used and where that storage is located.

If you have the means to do so,

If you have not already done so,

Explore ways to use Cloud Tools and Storage.

For example,

You can save room by using Office tools that do not actually load into the computer.

For example, Search for "Microsoft office cloud"

Cloud Storage options are in abundant supply.

OneDrive, from Microsoft, is the "go to" application in Windows.

If you need more than the "free" storage amount, you can sign up for larger storage (for a monthly fee).

Device Home Page - References and Resources – Learn about your Device - Solve Problems

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

Categories:  Alerts, Warranty Check, HP Drivers / Software and BIOS, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, User Guides / Manuals, Service and Maintenance Guide (Replacement Parts and Procedures), Product Information (Specifications), more

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

HP Pavilion 14-ce3000 Laptop PC series 

Thank you for participating in our HP Community.

We are a volunteer community workforce dedicated to supporting HP technology

Click Thumbs Up to say Thank You for the help.

If the answer helped resolve your issue, Click "Accept as Solution" .

Dragon-Fur

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@Theevs 

You are correct - if you have 93.9 GB left then you cannot be using 476 GB on that disk.

One very quick way to find out where the data on the machine is located is to use a software that provides a check in both size and percentage.

Tree Size Free

The software works at least on Windows V1909 and likely on newer versions of Windows as well.

One thought on the subject:

I pulled one of the Specifications for this series:

The main (and likely only) disk is 128GB.

This is not a lot of room for "on system" storage.

It is adequate as long as you store almost everything you can in "off line", for example, on an SD card or in Cloud Storage.

What is using the space on the computer?

Windows takes a chunk of that, of course.

The next larger "space hog" is likely your account.

Tree Size will very quickly tell you what space is used and where that storage is located.

If you have the means to do so,

If you have not already done so,

Explore ways to use Cloud Tools and Storage.

For example,

You can save room by using Office tools that do not actually load into the computer.

For example, Search for "Microsoft office cloud"

Cloud Storage options are in abundant supply.

OneDrive, from Microsoft, is the "go to" application in Windows.

If you need more than the "free" storage amount, you can sign up for larger storage (for a monthly fee).

Device Home Page - References and Resources – Learn about your Device - Solve Problems

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

Categories:  Alerts, Warranty Check, HP Drivers / Software and BIOS, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, User Guides / Manuals, Service and Maintenance Guide (Replacement Parts and Procedures), Product Information (Specifications), more

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

HP Pavilion 14-ce3000 Laptop PC series 

Thank you for participating in our HP Community.

We are a volunteer community workforce dedicated to supporting HP technology

Click Thumbs Up to say Thank You for the help.

If the answer helped resolve your issue, Click "Accept as Solution" .

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Yes! Tree Size absolutely solved my issue, I was able to see the hidden files that took up too much space on my laptop and get rid of them. Now I have half my storage back and I would be able to get more back if I wanted to! Thank you so much, Dragon-Fur!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.