Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I would like to install a 2nd HDD on my HP Pavilion p6000.

Which HDD can I use ? And are there detailled instructions how to install ?
I opened the cover and it seems not so easy to find the connections for power and data connections and space to add the 2nd drive. Can someone help me ?

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Desktop hard drives are all a standard size, so if there is not space for one model or brand, there is not space for any of them.

Today, all you can buy is SATA drives, so you need a SATA data cable port on the motherboard and an extra SATA power lead from the power supply (PSU).  You can buy y-connectors to split a single power lead into two -- to power two drives.  But you can not split a SATA lead -- you will need an extra SATA port on the motherboard for this extra drive.

All SATA HDDs are the same physical form factor, so all you really care about is capacity and speed.  Modern capacities can go up to 20TB, although for most folks 4TBG or 6TB is all you need.  As to speed, 7200 is a standard speed -- but there are different Editions of drives -- as both Western Digital and Seagate make a lot of models of the same drive -- and prices vary a lot.

For example, a consumer mode 6TB WD (Western Digital) drive costs  $150 or less, but a Server drive of the same size costs $400 or more.  I would get the cheaper one.

These are only my views -- others might have different views.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.