Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP pavilion gaming desktop
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

i have a hp pavilion desktop and i wanted to replace the graphics card with a better one. it has a radeon RX 5500 does anyone know what I can replace it with somthing bettter? also the mother board is a ERICA3 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Isaiah636885,

An HP Pavilion Gaming Desktop TG01-1xxx is a somewhat generalized designation (HP Pavilion Gaming Desktop TG01-1000i, HP Pavilion Gaming Desktop TG01-1160xt, etc.) -but at least I can work with that.

Your gaming desktop is likely fitted with a Baker motherboard SSID: 8767 HP p/n: L75365-001 ("MBD, Baker, Intel CML-S"), and is powered with a 500 watt power supply -HP p/n: L81009-800 ("Power Supply - 500W WS20 FR Gold").

Now, HP must have classified this PSU's product specifications, because I failed to find specifics regarding this power supply. For example, I don't know if it has any PCIe power connector(s) or not.  You'll have to tell me.

To cut to the chase, short story: an HP Pavilion Gaming Desktop TG01-1xxx can be fitted with any graphics card imaginable.  Providing it will either physically fit inside your desktop case/or if it is too large you can park it outside your case, and it is hooked up to a more powerful ATX industry standard power supply using an "ATX 24-pin to SATA Power Supply Adapter Cable Card" -but more about that in a moment.

Please take a look here what HP Pavilion Gaming Desktop TG01-1xxx (super) Users have been able to make work: UserBenchmark: HP Pavilion Gaming Desktop TG01-1xxx Compatible Components.

As you can see, there are the RTX 3070 and the RTX 3060 Ti graphics cards.  Please note that Nvidia recommends a minimum of 650 watt power supply to power these cards. These Users have obviously swapped the marginal proprietary 500 watt power supply for more powerful ATX PSUs.

How did they do it? -Please take a minute and look at my HP EliteDesk 800 G3 SFF upgrade project.  Hooked up to an externally parked 850 watt ATX power supply AND an externally parked GTX 3080 OC 12GB graphics card: Solved: Upgrading HP EliteDesk 800 G3 SFF - HP Support Community - 8251218.

The very same power & graphics card Upgrade etc. principles apply to your TG01-1xxx desktop.

Mind you, if you were to apply these upgrade steps as outlined in the aforementioned link, you'll be going way off the HP reservation -forfeiting whatever warranty you may have left on your rig.  You should also be more than average PC-literate to attempt it.

But it works A-OK: this is one of my HP legacy upgrade projects that stays steady #1 as the most powerful HP EliteDesk 800 G3 SFF globally, at least as far as UserBenchMark is concerned: UserBenchmark: HP EliteDesk 800 G3 SFF Compatible Components (#1 - #6 are all my scores, optimizing performance on the go, so to speak).

Hope this was helpful.

Kind Regards,

NonSequitur777

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@Isaiah636885,

Welcome to our HP User Forum!

Please specify what model HP Pavilion Gaming Desktop you have in order to answer your question.

Kind Regards,

NonSequitur777

HP Recommended

the model is HP Pavilion Gaming Desktop TG01-1xxx

HP Recommended

@Isaiah636885,

An HP Pavilion Gaming Desktop TG01-1xxx is a somewhat generalized designation (HP Pavilion Gaming Desktop TG01-1000i, HP Pavilion Gaming Desktop TG01-1160xt, etc.) -but at least I can work with that.

Your gaming desktop is likely fitted with a Baker motherboard SSID: 8767 HP p/n: L75365-001 ("MBD, Baker, Intel CML-S"), and is powered with a 500 watt power supply -HP p/n: L81009-800 ("Power Supply - 500W WS20 FR Gold").

Now, HP must have classified this PSU's product specifications, because I failed to find specifics regarding this power supply. For example, I don't know if it has any PCIe power connector(s) or not.  You'll have to tell me.

To cut to the chase, short story: an HP Pavilion Gaming Desktop TG01-1xxx can be fitted with any graphics card imaginable.  Providing it will either physically fit inside your desktop case/or if it is too large you can park it outside your case, and it is hooked up to a more powerful ATX industry standard power supply using an "ATX 24-pin to SATA Power Supply Adapter Cable Card" -but more about that in a moment.

Please take a look here what HP Pavilion Gaming Desktop TG01-1xxx (super) Users have been able to make work: UserBenchmark: HP Pavilion Gaming Desktop TG01-1xxx Compatible Components.

As you can see, there are the RTX 3070 and the RTX 3060 Ti graphics cards.  Please note that Nvidia recommends a minimum of 650 watt power supply to power these cards. These Users have obviously swapped the marginal proprietary 500 watt power supply for more powerful ATX PSUs.

How did they do it? -Please take a minute and look at my HP EliteDesk 800 G3 SFF upgrade project.  Hooked up to an externally parked 850 watt ATX power supply AND an externally parked GTX 3080 OC 12GB graphics card: Solved: Upgrading HP EliteDesk 800 G3 SFF - HP Support Community - 8251218.

The very same power & graphics card Upgrade etc. principles apply to your TG01-1xxx desktop.

Mind you, if you were to apply these upgrade steps as outlined in the aforementioned link, you'll be going way off the HP reservation -forfeiting whatever warranty you may have left on your rig.  You should also be more than average PC-literate to attempt it.

But it works A-OK: this is one of my HP legacy upgrade projects that stays steady #1 as the most powerful HP EliteDesk 800 G3 SFF globally, at least as far as UserBenchMark is concerned: UserBenchmark: HP EliteDesk 800 G3 SFF Compatible Components (#1 - #6 are all my scores, optimizing performance on the go, so to speak).

Hope this was helpful.

Kind Regards,

NonSequitur777

HP Recommended

hi

" also the mother board is a ERICA3 "

"

An HP Pavilion Gaming Desktop TG01-1xxx is a somewhat generalized designation (HP Pavilion Gaming Desktop TG01-1000i, HP Pavilion Gaming Desktop TG01-1160xt, etc.) -but at least I can work with that.

Your gaming desktop is likely fitted with a Baker motherboard SSID: 8767 HP p/n: L75365-001 ("MBD, Baker, Intel CML-S"), and is powered with a 500 watt power supply -HP p/n: L81009-800 ("Power Supply - 500W WS20 FR Gold")."

@Isaiah636885 

please just try to give the exact name of your computer, because as you can see, my friend @NonSequitur777  it may be wrong, even if it does not change everything, it may be misleading

you say you have an erica, so it can't be the series indicated here, and therefore not the motherboard mentioned, either!
https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-pavilion-gaming-desktop-pc-tg01-1000i/32480786/product-info

the power supply will depend on the model

so if it's a model with erica3
it's here

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-pavilion-gaming-desktop-pc-tg01-1000a/37921127/product-info
and you could have for example this model

with the erica 3 model you could only internally install what is mentioned here

Power Supply Cross Reference for specific models

L05757-800 Pcie 6+2

you will also find for example another hp models

take into account that these are hp models, with power supplies, either adapted to the graphics card, HP model, or which could ultimately be just

HP Pavilion Gaming Desktop TG01-1919ng PC Product Specifications

NVIDIA® GeForce RTX™ 3060 Ti (8 GB GDDR6 dedicated)

500 W AC power supply

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

HP Pavilion Gaming Desktop PC TG01-1000a (2W847AV)

this is the model of the the pc 

HP Recommended

hi

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-pavilion-gaming-desktop-pc-tg01-1000a/37921127/model/2100019...

see, we are getting closer, but that does not seem to indicate the precise model

but regardless of the marked answer, you have here all the necessary information for your project, it seems to me!

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

@Isaiah636885,

Erica3, Brighton, Baker, etc. and/or the "Rother" motherboard as specified on your HP Pavilion Gaming Desktop PC TG01-1000a (2W847AV): https://support.hp.com/my-en/document/c06469993, it does not matter one single bit.

You still need to get rid of your 500 watt power supply as discussed, in order to go beyond 'mid-range' performing graphics cards.

@Prométhée's comments notwithstanding, it changes nothing what I said earlier.

Kind Regards,

NonSequitur777

HP Recommended

@Isaiah636885,

If you want to stick with your 500 watt power supply, and if this power supply does not provide a PCIe power connection (6-pin or 6+2-pin), your best graphics card bet in my opinion would be a low-profile, low-power card such as the Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650 4GT LP 4GB.

Kind Regards,

NonSequitur777

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.