Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi!
I need to increase partition C on my computer (HP Pavilion Desktop 595), but it seems i'm not able to do it.
I've used "Gestione disco" and i read (see below):
- disc 0: partition DATA (D) 622 GB NFTS 100% free; partition non allocated 100 GB; partition RECOVERY (E) 200 GB NFTS 93% free.
- disc 1: system partition EFI 260 MB; partition WINDOWS (C) 118 GB NFTS 8% free; partition "partizione di ripristino" 592 MB.
Disc 2 and disc 3 are removable.
How can i increase my partition WINDOWS (C) that's now 8% free?
Thank you
Dario
Gestione disco.JPG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

As @WAWood  and I said - the C: drive is not able to be expanded beyond the present size because it is a 120GB drive.  You cannot extend a partition onto another drive.   If you want a larger C: drive, then it needs to be replaced.

On the other matter s as to the model number, the "xxx's" are indeed numbers.  I see the screenshot you included but that is not accurate.  There should be a tag affixed on the case that indicates the real model number or it might be called "Product number" or you can go to the HP support at the top of the forum, right click on "Support" then right click on "support and troubleshooting and open that page.  Then scroll down to the "Let HP detect your product"

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

It would appear that the C: drive is possibly of separate physical drive than the 😧 drive and that is why Windows will not let you increase the partition size.  It would be helpful if the complete model number of the desktop was posted as there many different configurations in the HP Pavilion Desktop 595 line.

It would also be helpful if you happen to know the actual drives that are installed and if the configuration is altered from the factory setup.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

@DaLaSa73 

The short answer is -- you can't!   Why? Because the "C" drive is contained on the 120GB disk -- possibly an SSD, being that small, and there is no way to increase it beyond the 600MB free at the end of the drive, and windows probably won't let you expand it to use any major portion of that.

If your problem with "C" is lack of space, here are some things you can do to recover some of the disk space:
http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3012-disk-cleanup-open-use-windows-10-a.html
http://winaero.com/blog/how-to-clean-up-winsxs-folder-in-windows-10/

Also, the community Win10 Forums has the following suggestions:
https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/83441-free-up-drive-space-windows-10-a.html

Finally, there is a freeware app known as Wise Disk Cleaner. I use it every day to get rid of junk files: https://www.wisecleaner.com/wise-disk-cleaner.html

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Hello!
Thanks for your help.
The complete model number of the desktop is HP Pavilion Desktop 595-p0xxx ("xxx" arn't numbers, but really "xxx").

Drives and configuration aren't altered from the factory setup and windows is still installed in the factory disc; over time there have been updates and i have added simple printers.
Thank you again

was posted as there many different configurations in the HP Pavilion Desktop 595 line.

It would also be helpful if you happen to know the actual drives that are installed and if the configuration is altered from the factory setup.

HP Recommended

I add a screeonshot: Informazioni sul sistema.JPG

HP Recommended

@DaLaSa73 

My reply was based on the disk layout you posted in the screenshot -- and the rest of the information does not matter when compared to that.  And as I said, you can't really increase the size of "C".

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

As @WAWood  and I said - the C: drive is not able to be expanded beyond the present size because it is a 120GB drive.  You cannot extend a partition onto another drive.   If you want a larger C: drive, then it needs to be replaced.

On the other matter s as to the model number, the "xxx's" are indeed numbers.  I see the screenshot you included but that is not accurate.  There should be a tag affixed on the case that indicates the real model number or it might be called "Product number" or you can go to the HP support at the top of the forum, right click on "Support" then right click on "support and troubleshooting and open that page.  Then scroll down to the "Let HP detect your product"

I'm not an HP employee.
HP Recommended
Thanks again to both of you.
I followed "TheOldMan" suggestion to identify my computer and it is an HP Pavillon 595-p0004nl.
Do you think it is possible to re-install Windows on disk 0 (900GB) and use disk 1 as a Data Disk?
Previously i had thought that disk 0 and disk 1 were two partitions of the same disk.
HP Recommended

Now that we know the model number, the present SSD drive that is c: is a 128 GB PCIe NVMe M.2 Solid State Drive.  That drive is a very fast drive.  While it may be possible to move the Windows 10 install to the existing 1TB drive, I would not recommend that action.  I would recommend getting a larger SSD.  If you were to try moving the Windows 10 install to the drive d, I would recommend that you just remove the c: drive and forget it was ever there, you will not be happy trying to swap those around. 

I'm not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

Thanks thanks thanks! I will do as you say. In January I will have some free time and I will devote it to replacing my 128 GB PCIe NVMe M.2 Solid State Drive with a larger one. Thank you very much for all the help.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.