Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP 24-f0039a
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have purchased and I'm waiting for a HP24-f0039a to be delivered for an elderly neighbour (and long time family friend) and when it does arrive, I need to set it up, install applications and get it all operating for her.

To help speed things up, I have ordered a Western Digital Green 240 GB Serial ATA III M.2 SSD to install and I'm just looking for some advice.

If anyone can assist with the following questions (or offer any other relevant advice) both my dear old neighbour and myself would be extremely grateful 🙂

1)  Would it be best for me to clone the HDD to the SSD or would it be better to do a clean Windows install on the SSD and       once I have it booting and running from the SSD would it be best to reformat the HDD or leave it as it is ?

2)   If a clean install is the preferred option, how and where can I get a copy of the Windows installation files and what  will       happen (or where do I find) the product key so that the OS can be activated ?

3)   As I really have no idea of how to physically install the SSD in this particular machine or what needs to be done to set it     up, I was hoping that maybe, someone could offer advice on the right way to do the job and possibly point me in the right        direction to find any written information or diagrams etc ?

4)   Are there any "secrets" or potential traps that I should be aware of ?

I have done a little work on PC's and Laptops over the years including upgrading RAM, installing new (and extra) HDD's and other hardware in various systems and I've also removed an optical drive from a laptop and replaced it with an SSD and caddy.

Last but not least, I've also managed to bring a couple of friends' PC's back to life after them being told that they are not fixable by the local computer shop.

In saying all of that, I'm not totally lost around computers but as I've always had the attitude that "A stupid question will always beat a stupid mistake" I thought it best that I go ahead and ask.

Hoping that someone may be in a position to assist, I look forward to hearing back from anyone that can help and I do thank you in advance for any assistance that you may be able to offer.

Cheers

Paul

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@Scanner_Angel 

Its motherboard has following slots

• Expansion Slots:
    • One M.2 slot for WLAN
    • One M.2 slot for SSD
    • One M.2 slot for custom graphic card

Apulia motherboard top view

Looks like it is at the top right corner and it supports M.2 SATA (information from Crucial) that means you can add M.2 SSD to your machine, please use Crucial MX500 or Samsung 860 M.2 SSD's. I normally do the following steps to save time and to be sure it works

(a) Clone existing HDD to M.2 SSD,

(b) Remove old HDD and install M,2 SSD.

(c) Run on M.2 SSD foe few ays or a week.

(d) Format old HDD and put it back for storage.

Regards.

(b) Remove

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.