Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Hp touchsmart 300-1223
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hello everyone. I will try my best to explain . I had windows 7. It was somehow forcing me to upgrade to windows 10.  (I think because I was having problems connecting to wireless internet but in safe mode I used hot spot)     So I did it. It worked about 3 months. The computer started to run slow. I cleaned and deleted a lot of files I did not need. I think I uninstalled norton's virus and it all went downhill. I wanted to restore back to when computer was working. I never save a backup of windows 10. It restored to windows 7, from scratch. It worked a for about an hour and blue screen and dump files came on.  I want to install  new windows an move on.  I cant log in to no windows OS, no f11. Only bios. I put in windows 10 new install and key and activate key and it tells me I need a place to put windows.

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

>  I put in windows 10 new install and key and activate key and it tells me I need a place to put windows.

Did it display a choice of disk-drives as the "target" for the installation of Windows?

Did it ask you to name a "folder", e.g., 'Windows-2018-Oct', as the "target" folder to hold the fresh installation?

HP Recommended

@Oddusee

Since you previously upgraded your PC to Windows 10, you can do a clean install W10 for free by using the media creation tool at the link below.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

The tool will allow you to make a bootable installation media (USB/DVD) and you can use installation media to install.

During the installation process if you are asked to enter a product key, check the 'Skip' box and W10 will install and then automatically activate once you are connected to the internet using the key embedded in BIOS of your machine.

Then you can install the drivers and available software you need from your PC's support page.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Greetings,

Welcome to the forum.

I am not a HP employee.

You might want to run HP Diagnostics if you see blue screen errors and you used HP's factory recovery media to go back to Windows 7.

Blue screens on a fresh HP factory image installation may indicate you have a hardware problem. Possibly the HDD has failed if W10 Setup cannot find a target storage device. Look in the BIOS within Storage Information to verify the BIOS is detecting your HDD.

Please refer to this HP Support document (Link) for more info on running diagnostics.

Expand (click on the + sign) "Run tests when Windows doesn't start". 

Follow directions. You may have to run diagnostics from bootable media to test for other possible hardware problems (suggested) if the HDD has failed.

You may want to use HP Vision Diagnostics on a CD (can't remember if a 2010 PC can boot to USB media) because your PC is about 8 years old.

Regards

HP Recommended

@Oddusee

Unfortunately, the Win10 Upgrade has a history of corrupting the HP Recovery information, so even though the PC rolled back to Win7, it left your PC in a corrupted state.

Your only real working option at this point is to install a new copy of Win10 -- and as @mdklassen indicated, you will need to select the "drive" to do that, as you already have an OS installed.

You might be better off creating new Win10 install media, as @banhien has indicated, but when you do that, be sure to select the right version -- 64-bit or 32-bit -- that matches your current PC.

You will need to boot from the Win10 install media, and if you can't get F11 to do that, try pressing the Esc key repeatedly while rebooting. That should display an HP utilities menu, of which one of the options should be to display a boot menu, and one of the options there should say something like HDD-USB, indicating the USB stick.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Hello. It did not.

HP Recommended

I got a new windows 10. The screen says where do you want to install windows?

Refresh   delete.  Format New

Load driver.      Extend

WE COULDN'T FIND ANY DRIVES. TO GET A STORAGE DRIVER CLICK LOAD DRIVER

Select the driver to install and then click ok. None of the options worked. I thought all that driver stuff comes on the disk. I am lost and drained.

15391300532425573291042986861024.jpg1539130275971719278307778481455.jpg15391303122964568068106010547979.jpg

HP Recommended

> Removable Disk (C:)
> CD Drive (D:)
> Removable Disk (E:)
> Boot (X:)

The installer will not allow you to install to "C:" or "D:" or "E:".

I think that "X:" is a RAM-disk -- 500 MB of RAM that has been "borrowed" to simulate a disk-drive.

So, there is no remaining destination.

Reboot, and enter BIOS SETUP, and check that the disk-drive has been detected, and is listed.

HP Recommended

I am having the same issue which is ...No driver found when trying to install windows from the windows media kit! please help! Is there a driver install media kit out there with all drivers on it? I have a HP 15 da0033wm notebook.

HP Recommended

Hi Ndlest,

You should create a new post.

No driver means you are, most likely, installing Windows on hardware which was not supported when the installation image you are using was created.

You have to provide more details.

Regards

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.