Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion 400
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a not-too-old Pavilion and I think the BIOS got corrupted as the computer will start but not boot up.  I've tried all the CMOS and BIOS resets the automated attendant recommended (neither worked).  The UEFI diagnostics check out the hard drive just fine, but the screen that pops up on start says 1720-SMART Hard Drive detects imminent failure, attribute #00.  I believe a BIOS reset may resolve, but using the instructions at https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00007682, I cannot get the system to create a bootable USB flash drive.  The command prompts go by too quickly, but in loading the application, the last line before the command window closes says something about inaccurate something or other.  This is very frustrating

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Greetings,

Welcome to the forum.

I am not a HP employee.

Pavilion 400 does not allow forum members to zero in on your PC.

Many older consumer HP PCs just don't have an option to update the BIOS outside of the operating system. The BIOS updates for these older PCs require running the update within a specific version of Windows.

Regards

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.