Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

@Fred1251 wrote:

unfortunately this solution was very hard to find at your site, NOR didn't  get any service warning email,
perhaps this site can get some update functionality search-change?

anyway

Intel(R) Management Engine Vulnerability  INTEL-SA-00086 is Solved by the ugrade SP83846.exe , THANK YOU and your remote service people, and much obliged!

Regards, Fred

Fred,

I must agree. I cannot find a solution for my laptop (it may be disguised in a typo(?)) so I may be up the creek.

Does anyone know if "SP83846.exe" is a solution for ALL PCs/Laptops?

I am hesitant as there seem to so many in the list that each may need a different solution.

Regards

HP Recommended

@Greybeard50 wrote:

Does anyone know if "SP83846.exe" is a solution for ALL PCs/Laptops?

It isn't. The patch list for each specific device is here.

You may encounter some dead links there. I needed sp82271.exe, while that page links to SP82271.exe

HP Recommended

The HP-Support-website

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05843704

SUPPORT COMMUNICATION- SECURITY BULLETIN
Document ID: c05843704  -- Version: 2

HPSBHF03571 rev 2 - Intel Management Engine Cumulative Security update and fix for WPA2 vulnerability

... is only partially of help.

There I found a  download-link for a fix for my pavilion 15-cc0xx

("Intel(R) Management Engine Vulnerability INTEL-SA-00086"-issue detected for it)

which should  be here:

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp82001-82500/SP82271.exe

... but that URL is not available at present .

May be it will be available there again later ?

HP Recommended

@Jens-R wrote:

... but that URL is not available at present .

The patch is there, but the link has been misspelled. Here you go.

HP Recommended

This is an urgent issue. Basically every single computer made in the last 2 years is vulnerable to undetectable breaches.

The patches are there, but many links are misspelled: SP instead of sp.

Also, the HP Support Assistant does not provide this patch as an update.

I am beginning to wonder: Who exactly needs to return from their holidays in order to greenlight these measures?

HP Recommended

> This is an urgent issue.

No, it is not, because the attack-surface is small.

If you have a home-computer "behind" your own wired/wireless router, the router protects your computer from a hacker on the Internet.

If your home-computer already has been hacked, having this vulnerability is the least of your problems.

> Basically every single computer made in the last 2 years is vulnerable to undetectable breaches.

Hyperbole, bordering on paranoia & nonsense.  Fake news.  Sigh.

HP Recommended

@mdklassen wrote:

Fake news.

That's how reputation-threatening issues get explained away these days.

HP Recommended

> Does anyone know if "sp83846.exe" is a solution for ALL PCs/Laptops?

Read: ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp82001-82500/sp82271.html

for a list of HP computers to which it does apply.

HP Recommended

@IsaakC wrote:

@mdklassen wrote:

Fake news.

That's how reputation-threatening issues get explained away these days.

Exactly.

Dear mdklassen, I assume that you also drive your car with Engine Management Light on as well? If it drives and does not make any funny noises, what's the issue, n'est ce past?

This is a security hole - nobody can really fathom implications and seriousness as Intel is very secretive about it - and I expect it to be patched. ASAP.  Especially as my PC is still under warranty.

Having second thought on this: Disabling the whole ME subsystem would be even better idea.

https://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/3022363/dell-starts-flogging-biz-laptops-with-intel-manage...

HP Recommended

> This is a security hole - nobody can really fathom implications and seriousness as Intel is very secretive about it

Really?

Nobody? 

Not even the security-researchers who discovered the vulnerability, and followed "responsible disclosure" protocol?

You are posting Fake News.

Intel has posted a detailed bulletin about the attack surface, and the CVE database has additional information.

By the way, this discussion is off-topic -- not helpful to the person who posted the question, especially now that HP has released an update to remediate the vulnerability.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.