Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion - TP01-1155t
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello, everyone and Happy New Year.

I recently purchased a HP Pavilion - TP01-1155t desktop PC and have a few questions about product keys for this computer, please.

In the event I want (or need) to format the hard drive and a do clean install of Windows 10, will I need the product key?  Or will Microsoft recognize my computer, and automatically activate the OS?

From what I understand—and I may be incorrect—the OEM product key for Windows 10 is embedded somewhere in the BIOS.  Is that an accurate statement?

If it is, then will Microsoft just read the product key from the pc’s BIOS?  Or will I need a copy of that key?

I read about a freeware utility called Belarc Advisor that can retrieve the product key from the BIOS.  I installed that program, and I do believe I found the product key for Windows 10.   However, I do not want to try a clean install of Windows 10 just to test that product key.

So, is there a way to determine if that product key is valid, and will, in fact, work for a clean install of Windows 10?  I know the computer comes with partitions that hold recovery data, and I made full system backups with Macrium Reflect and Aomei Backupper, just in case.  I’m just curious, and wondering about the product key.

Thank you very much!   J. Danniel

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi, and Happy New Year to you too!

If you need to clean install/reinstall W10, you will not need a product key.

You understood correctly...PC's that come with W10 from the manufacturer have the W10 product key in the BIOS.

You can't see it by going into the BIOS. 

You have to run special commands or use a free utility such as showkey plus to see the key.

You should never need the key, but you can print out, or save a copy of the Product key and Windows version info by running the Showkey Plus utility from the Microsoft Store.

Here is the link to that utility...

Get ShowKeyPlus - Microsoft Store

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi, and Happy New Year to you too!

If you need to clean install/reinstall W10, you will not need a product key.

You understood correctly...PC's that come with W10 from the manufacturer have the W10 product key in the BIOS.

You can't see it by going into the BIOS. 

You have to run special commands or use a free utility such as showkey plus to see the key.

You should never need the key, but you can print out, or save a copy of the Product key and Windows version info by running the Showkey Plus utility from the Microsoft Store.

Here is the link to that utility...

Get ShowKeyPlus - Microsoft Store

HP Recommended

Thank  you very much for your response and information.  Whenever there is a new update to Windows 10, I do like to install it cleanly, even though it isn't really necessary.  It's just me.  So, it's good to know I don't have to deal with the product key.  One less thing to do.  Thanks again.  Jd

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.