Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

I have just purchased a refurbished HP computer. I don't think it has a video card, but hardware keeps changing and I don't know if monitors still require fifteen pin plugs. My monitor requires a fifteen pin plug, and if there is one on this machine, I can't find it. The machine looks like the pictures of HP Pro Desk 400 G1 or maybe G2 Small Form. It came with limited warranty and no information about the particular machine. It has an Intel Core 75 chip and says "Bang & Olufsen on the front which means it will sound great if I can ever see to run something that uses sound.

I need to know if I have to buy a video card tomorrow, and since I am planning on using Adobe Premiere to edit video, what suggestions for a good one. I'd like to say money is not a problem, but that is just not true.

I really will appreciate any information that I receive and would rather not be lectured about posting simple problems to sophisticated operators.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

See: http://www.melectronics.ch/medias/sys_master/imagevariant/hd4/h29/9286070173726/951100412755_4%20(au...

There definitely is a BLUE "D-Sub" connector just above the 2-by-2 grid of USB ports.

Also, above it is a "D" shaped HDMI connector -- it will output video (and audio) directly to your High-Definition Television.  🙂

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

@buddyking, welcome to the forum.

When requesting help you should always include the make/model (i.e. p6-xxxx) of the computer and/or monitor. This information is necessary for us to review the specifications of them.  Here is a guide to help you find the model.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

Thanks for the guide to identity. My machine is an Envy 750 Desk Top (DT PC)

In theory it has 2T memory and Win 10 Home

Has an HP EAC mouse and Audio by Bang & Olufsen

I still have never had a machine arrive without a video card and thought perhaps there was a technical leap that I wasn't aware of. So, now I'm sure I have to buy a card tomorrow, I hope to edit video and don't have a great deal of cash to spend on it. Suggestions?

Thanks.

HP Recommended

See: http://www.melectronics.ch/medias/sys_master/imagevariant/hd4/h29/9286070173726/951100412755_4%20(au...

There definitely is a BLUE "D-Sub" connector just above the 2-by-2 grid of USB ports.

Also, above it is a "D" shaped HDMI connector -- it will output video (and audio) directly to your High-Definition Television.  🙂

HP Recommended

Thanks for the link, but it supplies me only with a visual of how "it ought to be". I am pleading ignorance on this forum because most here certainly have more knowledge and language to pin down specifics. I do know the blue connector (although not well enough to call by name) and it doesn't exist on my new machine. The link to the picture assured me that there is no new technology afoot here that negates the need of the blue plug. I have two HDMI plugs, you nailed it. You have specifically answered my question, for which there is no "fix" but to buy and install a video card or a new monitor. Thanks, have a good holiday.

HP Recommended

View: http://www.hisdigital.com/UserFiles/product/3619_001_1_1600.jpg

This is an "add-in" card that has HDMI and DVI and VGA output ports.

Or, view:  http://i00.i.aliimg.com/wsphoto/v0/744268220_1/3-in-1-Mini-Displayport-DP-to-HDMI-DVI-DP-Video-Adapt...

for the "Display Port" type of output.

Do any of those ports match any of the connectors on the back of your computer?

If not, then the seller of the computer must have removed the add-in video-card.

HP Recommended

Just want to comment that this was, "another one of those experiences." Maybe I am not communicating in Tech Talk. I attempted to ask simply, "Is there another kind of connection for monitors, I have a new HP and my monitor has a fifteen pin plug." I am appreciative of the effort given to address my question, but after a full day on the PC and going to Micro Center (where I was sold a video card that I probably don't need and will return tomorrow) and in all these attempts to gain insight to the problem, nobody came close to saying, "HDMI is is a new technology for attaching monitors, if your monitor doesn't have that way of connecting, you will need a new monitor OR a new video card in order to connect the old one. I asked specifically about new technologies that might explain my situation. Just now I purchased a monitor that I will pick up tomorrow when returning the video card, so that will ensure two days of addressing a problem that required far less time. First I was addressed for not giving specifics about the machine, memory, processor, make, model, none of which really have anything to do with my question. Then a link to a pictore of the back of my machine (as it does not exist) with a blue outlet for the fifteen pin plug. It's been interesting, but with the money that goes to HP one would expect, I expect, trained support who are able to translate English into Tech. I realize it's a world of Customer Service out the window and regret its passing.

HP Recommended

> one would expect, I expect, trained support who are able to translate English into Tech. I realize it's a world of Customer Service out the window and regret its passing.

Did I ever say that I am employed by HP?  NO!!!  Sometimes, free advice is worth exactly what you paid for it.

Note that the first picture that I recommended should be the "back" of the model-number that you supplied.

So, I _tried_ to describe the connector, given your information.

Can you please take a picture of the back of your computer, and insert it -- use the icon that is "two-to-the-right" of the "smiley-face" icon. Make your mouse-pointer "hover" over that icon, to see the text "Insert/edit image" pop-up in a white-text-black-background balloon.

HP Recommended

>>>>    My machine is an Envy 750 Desk Top (DT PC)

See: http://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/hp-envy-desktop---750-220-p-t4a18aa-aba

for:  HP ENVY Desktop - 750-220 Free shipping. Buy direct from HP. See customer reviews and comparisons for the HP ENVY Desktop - 750-220. Upgrades and savings on select products. -- which _might_ be the exact model-number of your tower.                    

Video connector -- 1 HDMI; 3 DisplayPort; 1 DVI

No VGA-output, so either you need a VGA-to-DVI adapter,

or a VGA-to-DVI cable,

or a HDMI port on a TV (or monitor),

or a DisplayPort-to-VGA adapter,

or take a close look at the ports on your existing monitor -- it might have a (usually-white) DVI-input port, adjacent to the VGA-input port.

HP Recommended

I have solved the problem by purchasing a monitor with HD connections, but there REALLY is no blue connection port. Honest.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.