Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 590-p0100na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My PC (HP Pavilion 590-p0100na) will NEVER boot up with the Intel Optane Memory installed in its slot, irrespective of various BIOS settings. I had same issue with the Intel Optane Memory series (16GB) that was pre-installed with the PC when bought. It was working originally but once I restored a Windows 10 OS image from my old PC to the HDD (Hard disk Drive) in the new HP Pavilion 590-p0100na PC, the Intel Optane Memory fails to be recognised and I cannot boot Windows. When I power on the PC with the Intel Optane Memory module fitted, all I get is:
😞 Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart. We'll restart for you
https://www.windows.com/stopcode
Stop code: INACCESSIBLE BOOT DEVICE

On restart it does not work, just displays same error.

I updated the BIOS of the PC to the latest version but still same issue. The only way to boot Windows OS is to remove the Intel Optane Memory.

By the way, the Windows 10 from the old PC that I restored into my HP computer is formatted in GPT not MBR

Please as anyone got any ideas? I did email Intel support but basically, I was advised to contact HP.  

In case it helps, this is the reply from Intel:

"Octavian from Intel Support responded 08/11/2020 9:28 AM

Thank you for contacting Intel Customer Support.

There are some potential issues that might cause the situation you are experiencing with your HP PC.

Hardware/BIOS issues:

1-The Optane module hardware is faulty.

2-The BIOS settings are incorrectly set for the Optane Memory (you need to select in BIOS the HDD as the device from where the PC will boot (load the operating system) and also to check if the BIOS settings are set for the Optane Memory module to be used for acceleration.

Software issues:

3-The Optane Memory acceleration was not disabled before you restored Windows on this HDD and this resulted in metadata from the previous Windows installation left on the Optane Memory module.

4-When restoring Windows on this HDD, the Windows installation was put on a MBR partition, not on a GPT partition that works with with Optane Memory.

Since this is a HP PC, the best advice regarding BIOS settings can only come from HP. Also, if the Optane Memory module hardware is faulty, they are the ones that handle the warranty for the Optane Memory module.

Once the potential hardware/BIOS issues are handled and you can see the Optane memory module in Windows, you can try to solve the number 3 issue by using KillDisk Free to erase all the content of the Optane Memory module (the classic Windows format should not be used for that) and then save your data and proceed with a clean Windows installation making sure that you install Windows on a GPT partition (to prevent the potential 4 issue).

Therefore, you should contact HP for help with the hardware/BIOS issues and then proceed to take care of the software issues (if still needed)."

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@KunD wrote:

...  It was working originally but once I restored a Windows 10 OS image from my old PC to the HDD (Hard disk Drive) in the new HP Pavilion 590-p0100na PC, the Intel Optane Memory fails to be recognised ..

@KunD 

That was the BIG, BIG problem. You MUST disable Optane before remove HDD. In this case, system will look at Optane but physically it was on other machine.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Thanks very much for your clear reply. From your reply, it is good that I can now pinpoint the issue as I have spent hours upon hours trying to fix the problem, obviously to no avail!

I have already bought a restore USB for the PC from HP. So if I take a backup image of the current Hard Disk -HDD (which would not work with the Optane unit installed - I had to take the Optane out to be able to boot and use the PC) and then use the HP recovery USB to revert the HP Pavilion to factory settings, then disable Optane and then restore the current HDD with the backup image. Do you reckon this will work? I have a brand-new 32GB Intel Optane which I plan to use (also have the 16GB one that came with the HP PC).

If you reckon my idea as described above is worth a try, please could you elaborate on how I should disable the Optane once I restore the HP PC to its factory original state?

P.S. I use Macrium Reflect to do the Backup Imaging - it has worked well in this respect

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.