Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Omen Desktop875
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am posting this here in hopes that it helps others.  The original post can be found in another message, but I am placing it here for higher visibility in hopes that it helps.

SOME HISTORY:    I encountered the issue several weeks ago and reset my computer.  That worked for a while and then it happened again.  The BSOD would occur sporadically, but would ALWAYS occur if I tried to turn off defender in the control panel.  Some info about my setup - I was using Defender &  Malwarebytes.  McAfee has always been uninstalled from my system since day 1.  Now I have Defender completely deactivated via the below method and have replaced  everything with Kaspersky.

I am up and running now for 3 days without any incident, including VERY heavy usage for RAM / CPU / Video.

ORIGINAL POST (SLIGHTLY EDITED FOR CLARITY)

From reading other posts on this, it does appear to be related to Windows Defender.  There is another post that blames it on the wireless card, but that does not seem to have the traction that defender does.  Here are the steps that I took.

(My apologies for the sloppy nature of the post but I did want to try and help out as I know first hand how frustrating this is)

1) In my router, I blacklisted the MAC addresses for the wired and wireless network adapter.  This prevents the auto updates immediately after reset and will buy you some time to complete the following.  Optionally you can do a complete reset and wipe out your user files and everything, but this worked for me only reinstalling windows.

2) Perform the reset to have windows re-installed.

3) As soon as you are back in windows, you need to complete the steps below in order to completely deactivate Windows Defender. You may continue to encounter the blue screen while you proceed, but if you push through you can eventually get it completed.  There is another post on how to do this from the recovery command prompt, but I was unable to get to the C:|windows directory in order to get that to work. I suspect it is because of tamper protection

NOTE: If you try to turn off defender in the security center, it seems to only make matters worse and triggered the error every time in my case.

Here are the sub- steps for number 3::

DISABLE TAMPER PROTECTION via Windows Security \ Virus & Threat protection \ Manage settings.  This is important or defender will continue to reactivate.  DO NOT try to turn of defender while you are in here.

Edit the registry via REGEDIT.  There are FOUR entries to make.

1) Right click on the below folder in the registry and add a new DWORD (32) "DisableAntiSpyware" and set it to 1

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows Defender]

2) Right click again on the same folder in the registry and add a new KEY

"Real-Time Protection"

3) Right click on the new key from above (Real-Time Protection) and add the following new DWORD(32) values and set each to 1
"DisableBehaviorMonitoring"
"DisableOnAccessProtection"
"DisableScanOnRealtimeEnable"

The below link does a better job at detailing how to turn off tamper protection and perform the first registry edit

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-permanently-disable-windows-defender-windows-10#disable-windows-d...

LASTLY - UN blacklist your MAC addresses and allow windows & HP to fully update.  

You will want to install an antivirus package after reboot, as this completely turns off defender!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.