Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Slim Desktop PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

How can I correct "KMODE EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED" on my desktop pc? It has Windows 10.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

This is the HP Recommended Solution. You might want to try it. Hope this solution works for you. Thanks so much!

HP Consumer Desktop PCs - KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED Occurs on Various Scenarios

I am HP Employee

View solution in original post

501 REPLIES 501
HP Recommended

This error occurred on my HP Pavilion Gaming Desktop 690-0073w today. It was stuck in a boot loop with the error message KMODE EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED. I wasn't able to sign in before it would restart.

I pressed the power button during start-up and shut it off. I unplugged everything, then plugged everything, but not my headphones, back in. I chose to recover my system to 3 days ago, and now it won't restart or boot loop. It has been about 10 minutes. 

HP Recommended

I have the same issue, even tried a full reset with no success.

HP Recommended

I have at least the same symptoms on my HP ENVY Desktop - 795-0017na, Windows 10, 1909, 64-bit.

Specifically, I get KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED from Windows during the boot process. Windows then tries again with the same result and it takes me to the Recovery screen.

The first time this happened I was able to go back to a restore point from 5th May and things seemed OK again.

Today I applied the rolled-up updates for Windows 10 1909 and this appeared to go OK but shortly afterwards (while idle) the PC crashed and I am now back in the KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED boot-lock-out.

The only restore point I now have is from 9th May and restoring to here doesn't help. I've also tried rolling back the latest quality update again with no joy.

Any suggestions short of "Resetting" the PC?

Anyone had a similar issue? Is it HP, Microsoft or "something else"?

Philip
HP Recommended

This is how I solved the issue.

I went to hp.com/go/pchelp.

On list scroll down to Support and choose Download Drivers.

Choose the type of device you are trying to repair; I let HP detect my product.

When you see your product click on it and wait the minute or two for the information to load.

I then clicked on the BIOS title and download the drivers.

This worker for me.

Good luck.

HP Recommended

This is how I solved the Kmode Exception Not Handled.

Go to hp.com/go/pchelp.

On list scroll to Support and choose Download Drivers.

Click your type of product and let HP detect it.

When your product appears click on it and wait for the information to load.

I clicked the BIOS box and updated the drivers.

This worked for me.

HP Recommended

Rozco,

Thanks for responding - kudos for that - but my problem is that I am stuck in the boot loop and unable to get to Windows at all. I can't get back via a previous restore point and Reset, whether or not I save my data, doesn't work (fails w/o making changes) either. I'm just 'stuck'. I probably ought to start my own thread rather than continue to 'hijack' yours.

Thanks anyway.

Philip

Philip
HP Recommended

I think a solution should be provided in this thread as we are all facing the same issue where the computer is stuck on a blue screen boot loop with no ability to fix it

HP Recommended

OK Areebee, I'll stick with this thread for the time being.

I raised a support case this morning and will feed back how things progress. It would appear that we are "not alone" and the culprit may be a recent update Windows 10, 1909. Apparently only some HP models are affected and the impact is different depending upon the model - most just require updated drivers to be installed. We seem to be singled out for "special treatment".

Does this match with your experience?

I'm expecting  to have to download some form of factory restore kit and start again but am awaiting a callback and further specific advice. The important thing for me is to not have this recur as I rebuild the system!

Philip
HP Recommended

Philip42h_2 I have an 875-0024 Omen Desktop, and I am waiting for the reset flash drive, as I also had to download a restore kit, but since I didn't have a flash drive, HP is sending me the flash drive with the reset kit pre-loaded.

I will update if their solution fixed the situation for me or not, but it seems like everything else I tried was in vain (costing me nearly 20 hours so far)

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.