Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Update on my PC: I did a clean install of windows on Sunday 5/17. Wiped the drive, reformat etc. After the install I turned off Windows Updates for 30 days and installed no drivers or HP software at all. PC worked until this morning, when it started giving the BSOD at the login prompt. I did a System Restore to be able to use the PC again. But this confirms as others suspected, it really doesn't seem to have anything to do with updates. I'm going to try disabling Windows Defender now.

HP Recommended

Another update: I attempted to turn off Windows Defender via Control Panel, and was not able to. As soon as I'd hit the slider to turn it off, I would get the BSOD and the computer would restart. So I ended up disabling it via command prompt as per the instructions provided earlier. We'll see how it goes now.

HP Recommended

@bibsout wrote:

Another update: I attempted to turn off Windows Defender via Control Panel, and was not able to. As soon as I'd hit the slider to turn it off, I would get the BSOD and the computer would restart. So I ended up disabling it via command prompt as per the instructions provided earlier. We'll see how it goes now.

Hi Bibsout,

I did my clean install on 12th May - that's 5/12 to you 🙂 - and then let Windows Update do its thing ... so I'm currently running:

Windows Security:

• Antimalware Client Version: 4.18.2004.6
  • Engine Version: 1.1.17000.7
  • Antivirus Version: 1.315.980.0
  • Anti-spyware Version: 1.315.980.0

On Windows 10 Home, Version 1909, OS build 18363.836

And it is, so far, perfectly stable ... I now expect it to go up in flames any minute   😉

What versions are you currently running?

And did you get a mini dump to analyse the BSOD detail?

But I do agree your experience does implicate Windows Security / Defender ...

Philip
HP Recommended

I came to this thread today after having my system reinstalled threes times in a single week now. First, I thought it might have to do with an Anti Cheat tool required for a beta game called Valorant which also causes several types of problems and BSODs currently (found a lot on Reddit). Today, my neighbours Omen gaming PC started to do the exact same thing and he doesn't have that game installed, so I was curious. I have also done all the Steps to disable Windows Defender now and hope it's at least a temporary workaround. The BSOD issues always starting to occur after a few days, so fingers crossed. Running a clean install with latest Windows updates, latest ADM drivers and Checkpoint VPN for work right now - nothing more. Keeping you updated on my case and many thanks for the helpful information in here!

HP Recommended
  • I have the exact same model of HP Pavilion Gaming Desktop 690-0073w and started getting the error around the same date you did. 
  • I started getting the KMODE error intermittently while using my machine. I assumed it had to do with quick booting, so I disabled that.
  • Eventually it evolved into a boot loop issue. I ended up doing a clean install as I could no longer access my computer.

Now today, I get the intermittent one while using it. I don't think it's a coincidence that we all got this same error at the same time around the beginning of May. Even reading this whole thread, I struggle with finding a fix. 

HP Recommended

@tim614 wrote:
  • I have the exact same model of HP Pavilion Gaming Desktop 690-0073w and started getting the error around the same date you did. 
  • I started getting the KMODE error intermittently while using my machine. I assumed it had to do with quick booting, so I disabled that.
  • Eventually it evolved into a boot loop issue. I ended up doing a clean install as I could no longer access my computer.

Now today, I get the intermittent one while using it. I don't think it's a coincidence that we all got this same error at the same time around the beginning of May. Even reading this whole thread, I struggle with finding a fix. 

I believe the temporary fix is to disable Windows Defender until a more permanent fix is available. The registry fix worked for me to disable the AntiSpyware and AntiVirus of Defender. Check back a few posts to see how to do it.

HP Recommended

I first had this issue back on the 12th, which is about a week and a half after I first got the machine (OMEN Obelisk 875-1130). Managed to get it out of boot loop long enough to pull the minidump files, which showed the issue with Windows Defender. After that, I did a system restore, turned off fast boot and most startup apps and had no problems (even after installing HP updates) until about 35 minutes ago. I got a KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED loop going, which then turned into a BAD_SYSTEM_CONFIG_INFO BSOD. I tried using a restore point from a few days ago and got the same error. I have now restored from a recovery USB, so I'm going to be turning off Windows Defender in the registry and hoping for the best.

EDIT: I just realized that this most recent round of problems happened ~24 hours after I uninstalled the trial version of McAfee that was reinstalled when I did my system restore on the 12th. Unfortunately, I was unable to grab the minidumps to verify this. I have now uninstalled McAfee, disabled Windows Defender in the settings menu, and have now installed Avira as virus protection. Fingers crossed!

HP Recommended

It’s the latest Realtek 8822e Wifi card driver that is delivered by MS update. It was installed on my system, an OMEN Obelisk 875-0014, on May 13th and I immediately started getting the KMODE Exception not handled boot loop.

One way past the issue which I have used twice now:
1. Power off and remove the Realtek 8822e.
2. Move your boot drive to different model system without a Realtek 8822e.
*you will need your BitLocker key if you use BL.
3. Boot the other system and let it detect and add the new devices (you may want to clean these up later). Log in then shutdown.
4. Move the boot drive back to your original system and hopefully reboot.

5. Replace that awful Realtek card with something else. I have a new Intel card on the way and I am temporarily using an old Intel 8260 card from another system.

** I'm sorry I don't have the version of the Realtek driver since I removed the card and deleted everything related to it. Maybe someone can reply.

HP Recommended

Need to jump into here to say "same" for me too running a Pavilion 790-08xx, just to hopefully let HP know that one more of their user have this extremely annoying issue. 

I'm always able to run back to a restore, but after some days, it's all back to the delicious blue screen! I'm not aware of how the support functionality from HP is elsewhere, but it's close to non-excisting in Norway.

HP Recommended

I have been battling with this issue for several weeks.  After a rest, everything was fine for about a week, and then it happened again.  I am trying the regedit steps, however I am unable to navigate to windows on C:   The only directories I see are ones that I have put there.  I am not seeing any of the system related directories (Windows, Users, etc....)

I was able to edit the registry via regedit in between reboots, but only 3 of the 4 keys seem to save.   DisableAntiSpyware does not save.

Thank you for any help you may have to offer.  

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.