Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

@Miller17 wrote:

Same issue here, computer stuck in BSOD loop until I booted with "Disable Early Launch anti-Malware protection", was able to get windows up and running in safe mode, do the registry edits as previously detailed out, and am not taking any windows updates.  I have been solid for ~12 hours.  I have AMD processor (Ryzen 7 3700x).  Question, when the time comes and there is a solution, how do I reverse the steps that I took to disable windows defender, I have never done that level of modification of the registry, is it as simple as removing the 4 keys I created?  Probably getting ahead of myself with "undoing the fix" but want to be prepared to test the solution when it comes.  

Thanks everyone in this forum for your detailed posts and your efforts to help us all, many of us (certainly me) would be still staring at a blue screen without it.  

You can either remove them or you can change the values for all the keys to 0.

HP Recommended

I'd reinstalled Windows very late last week. Machine ran fine over the weekend. Then, decided to install Malwarebytes early this week. The instant I hit Scan after it was installed, BAM! BSOD. Uninstalled it, ran their removal program as well, still having issues.

HP Recommended

BIOS update do not work for me. I have an Envy 795-0030qd cto.

HP Recommended

@Miller17 wrote:

Is anyone using an antivirus other than McAfee and having the problem?

I had been using malwarebytes free version for a year when this began. I uninstalled that after checking the system dump from my first blue screen and seeing msmpeng.exe as the faulting application. At that time I thought it was malwarebytes that must have caused it since I wasn't using windows defender. But that first time my system didn't get stuck in the loop, it recovered automatically and I uninstalled malwarebytes after it came back up which meant that now windows defender was the only AV on my system. It ran normally for 3 days before going into the BSOD loop and causing me to have to wipe and factory reset . Since I did the last factory reset I have left the trial mcaffee installation alone and windows defender is disabled by it by default apparently. System's been okay for 48 hours now. But, who knows?

Obelisk 875-0060 , Edoras H370 chipset 84FD , Core I7-8700 , Nvidia Geforce GTX 1070 , WIN10 Home 1909 Build 18363.836
HP Recommended

@Jim32161 wrote:

I'd reinstalled Windows very late last week. Machine ran fine over the weekend. Then, decided to install Malwarebytes early this week. The instant I hit Scan after it was installed, BAM! BSOD. Uninstalled it, ran their removal program as well, still having issues.

Read earlier in the thread, it's related to Windows Defender.  If you manually or another program tries to disable it, such as installing a 3rd party service, it can trigger the BSOD.  This is not a solution but a workaround for now, but disable Windows Defender using the set instructions that apply to you and install Malwarebytes again.

-----------------------------------------------------

Okay, so a quick summary so far:

For most of us, to reproduce the BSOD, we can manually try to turn off Windows Defender in the GUI and immediately get a BSOD with KMODE, but we are able to log back in.  However, when we get the BSOD unexpectedly, usually we go into a boot loop where we can't even get back into Windows, even with safe mode.  The only way to escape that and log back in WITHOUT doing a system restore OR re-installing windows, is to use the system recovery command prompt and disable Windows Defender.

If you are in a BSOD boot loop, follow these instructions from @SaltyLager to disable Windows Defender
https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Operating-Systems-and-Recovery/KMODE-EXCEPTION-NOT-HANDLED/m-p...

1.  In the recovery screen - go to troubleshoot - advanced options - command prompt.
  2. Login with your password
  3. In the command prompt enter regedit and press enter.
  4. Double-click hkey local machine
  5. Click file - load hive
  6. Browse to C( was D in my recovery environment):\windows\system32\config
  7. Open software
  8. Enter a Key Name, I used temp
  9. Open the temp key, then expand policies - Microsoft - windows defender
  10. Create a 32bit dword DisableAntiSpyware. Set it to 1
  11. Right click windows defender in the left and create a new key Real-Time Protection and create these 32 bit dwords set to 1
    1. DisableBehaviorMonitoring
    2. DisableOnAccessProtection
    3. DisableScanOnRealtimeEnable
  12. Scroll back up and highlight the temp key, and then click file unload hive.
  13. Then highlight hkey local machine again, and choose load hive. This time load system from the same location, and set Temp\contolset001\services\windefend start to 4

If you are still able to log into your computer and want to disable Windows Defender, follow these instructions from @RJWard
https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Operating-Systems-and-Recovery/KMODE-EXCEPTION-NOT-HANDLED/m-p...

1. DISABLE TAMPER PROTECTION via Windows Security \ Virus & Threat protection \ Manage settings.  This is important or defender will continue to reactivate.  DO NOT try to turn of defender while you are in here.
  2. Edit the registry via REGEDIT.  There are FOUR entries to make.
    1. Right click on the folder [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows Defenderin the registry and add a new DWORD (32) "DisableAntiSpyware" and set it to 1
    2.  Right click again on the same folder in the registry and add a new KEY (folder)  "Real-Time Protection"
      1. Right click on the new key from above (Real-Time Protection) and add the following new DWORD(32) values and set each to 1
        1. "DisableBehaviorMonitoring"
        2. "DisableOnAccessProtection"
        3. "DisableScanOnRealtimeEnable"

With Windows Defender disabled, you are unprotected and would recommend downloading a free 3rd party software.  Kaspersky, Avast, AVG, McAfee, etc.

HP Recommended

Everyone,

Make sure once you've reset your computer and disabled further windows updates to go into settings --> updates & security --> windows update --> view update history --> uninstall updates --> and make sure the update with the code (KB4556799) is not installed. If it is make sure and disable.

Copying article here but this certain update seems to be causing problems with all types of computers and not just HPs.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2020/05/21/microsoft-windows-10-warning-crashes-bsod-chrome...

Performed this trick and have not run into any issues yet. I'll keep you all updated.

HP Recommended

@tjbrinker wrote:

Everyone,

Make sure once you've reset your computer and disabled further windows updates to go into settings --> updates & security --> windows update --> view update history --> uninstall updates --> and make sure the update with the code (KB4556799) is not installed. If it is make sure and disable.

Copying article here but this certain update seems to be causing problems with all types of computers and not just HPs.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2020/05/21/microsoft-windows-10-warning-crashes-bsod-chrome...

Performed this trick and have not run into any issues yet. I'll keep you all updated.

Many of us experienced the BSOD loop prior to this update.  Do you also have all the latest updates installed except for this one?  If so, can you try to manually turn off "Real-Time Protection" in Windows Security?  Once you flip the switch, if it doesn't BSOD, then flip it back and turn it back on so that you are protected again.

HP Recommended

This is overwhelmingly a recurring HP issue, and has been persisting for over 3 weeks.  I have little constructive to add other than another voice to the cacophony as I'm done wasting time with this nonsense until there's some proper acknowledgement and REAL solutions instead of passing the buck to Microsoft.  

HP Recommended

Its definitely not an update downloaded by HP updating software as Kmode occurred about 12 hours after after reinstalling windows 10 USB recovery clean. I did notice when windows updated everything up from the version at recovery that there were hp labeled specific updates and win update reported that the system was fully up to date.

The only thing I added were my work apps and then started working for about 12 hours before Kmode bootloop again. Then I did the SmurfKong regedit and immediately was back in and logged in with my normal microsoft account. At no time,even  now have I looked at windows defender. If I knew about the regedit I could have avoided the hours it took to reinstall everything. 

The only updates I see that were done when the BSOD started, I cant see the time or I could pinpoint better, is Epson xp-600 series printer update and  Defender KB2267602 v 1.315.1090.0

The combined views for the Kmode exception threads are 2K/day. That is a MAJOR CFunk. HP engineers hopefully have their butts on the line chewing MS engineer's arse. 

HP Recommended

Just wanted to add that I'm having the same issue as well.  Subscribed to see when an update will be released

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.