Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

My PC is also still working. I can't reproduce the BSOD. 

It is fully updated and even kb4556799 is installed.

I can deactivate all functions of the defender in the regular setting and enable them again without any problems. I will still run some more tests tomorrow but it looks promising for now. 

I assume they quietly fixed or pulled something on windows update after my last system restore.

@Ceilingbouncer

Sorry to hear that your system couldn't recover.

But I think it might still be possible to revive it and spare you the trouble of setting it up again from scratch and maybe lose settings and data. This problem is just one issue that prevents the start of windows, it is possible to work around that.

I had great success last week with just booting the drive up in another PC. Windows 10 can usually  do that without any problems. Since the problem is linked to some hp component, this and all currently installed devices and drivers won't be active on the new hardware. Make sure it's offline. Uninstall critical windows updates, make backups, access data, disabled some settings. Then put it back into the original machine and hopefully it will boot again. Clear the windows update cache, create a system restore point,  run "chkdsk c: /f", and "sfc /scannow" . Then start applying new updates.

HP Recommended

@Sonni_boiii

You do know that the steam account is linked to your email and that you can always just set it up on any new computer ? Your game licenses are saved in there and the games can just be downloaded. Even savegames are in the steam cloud. And over 100 $ of games ? That's like 2-3 games ? Or was it supposed to be 1000$ ?

HP Recommended

@KuKoruman wrote:

I have re-flashed my pc 3 times and disables all windows updates to no avail. the error comes back roughly every 24-32hours. very frustrating but luckily i don't have anything important on my GAMING pc. what a shame, this has been a known issue for over a week. FIX

Woohoo! Almost 50 hours without blue screen on my desktop. Using Mcaffee instead of defender. No updates to registry and all updates available from HP and Windows installed. If It happens again, I'll definitely try the registry thing I'll look up on my laptop while I'm in recovery mode to disable windows defender just to keep going. Also, maybe I won't install HP support assistant or run any more updates from HP. Can't decide right now, but that definitely seems to possibly be a culprit in this mess.

Obelisk 875-0060 , Edoras H370 chipset 84FD , Core I7-8700 , Nvidia Geforce GTX 1070 , WIN10 Home 1909 Build 18363.836
HP Recommended

@SlurmMcKenzie wrote:

@Sonni_boiii

You do know that the steam account is linked to your email and that you can always just set it up on any new computer ? Your game licenses are saved in there and the games can just be downloaded. Even savegames are in the steam cloud. And over 100 $ of games ? That's like 2-3 games ? Or was it supposed to be 1000$ ?

A lot of people don't know all this stuff. When I got this "gaming PC" I had never played or downloaded a game on A PC.  And it's still confusing even after I had to wipe and reload windows I wasn't sure what was going on when I logged into steam and it said "verifying" or something like that. It's not always as clear as it seems.  I could see that the actual space the game took on my d drive was no longer in use. So how would you know if the game was still installed? Or if you needed to download again or what? It makes you log in to steam when you start a game, but is SAVED games still available or loaded on your computer? It's a valid question.

Obelisk 875-0060 , Edoras H370 chipset 84FD , Core I7-8700 , Nvidia Geforce GTX 1070 , WIN10 Home 1909 Build 18363.836
HP Recommended

If you didn't wipe your D drive and had your games installed there, after installing Steam, all you have to do is find the setting that points to the folder where the games are stored. Then, voila, you still have your games. Of course, you have go through the pain of hours of downloading if they were on your C drive. No matter what, wiping a PC is annoying, since it takes hours to get it back to how it was.

HP Recommended

So I feel stupid, but I downloaded this and it doesn't seem to work. Updates were paused, so KB4556799  hadn't been downloaded or installed. When I ran the troubleshooter, it came back with no updates available to hide. So I unpaused updates, and KB4556799  started to download. Then I ran the troubleshooter and selected that update to hide, but the update continued to install. What did I do wrong?

HP Recommended

Had the same problem. Talked to someone at HP who started me down the basic troubleshooting routine, but as soon as I said I think it is a driver issue caused by some sort of update and mentioned KMODE she told me the KMODE issue is a known issue. I was driving when she called me so I asked her to send me just the directions to specifically address the KMODE issue and the following was what she sent me:

As you mentioned you are getting Kmode error, i would request you to perform the following step and have a check,

1>Please disconnect all the devices and cables connected to your computer including the power cable and then press and hold the power button for about 20 seconds and connect the power cable back again and try to power on the computer.

STEP 2>>

• In the safe mode under device manager
  • Uninstall the display adapter
  • Check if there is any hidden drivers and uninstall all of them
  • Reboot the PC and check  
  • Still the same issue run the SFC/ SCANNOW command from Command prompt (F11 recovery screen)

Please try these steps, If you are still experiencing  issues with your product and would like to attempt another Chat interaction, please visit the following :

HP Website - https://support.hp.com

Thank you for contacting HP Technical Support. We value your loyalty and very much appreciate your patience and understanding throughout the process.

I haven’t actually tried this because somehow I got mine working (for now) by resetting, downloading all windows drivers, but not allowing HP to update the two Realtek drivers in the HP Support Manager. That seemed to work for me. But time will tell. If mine goes out again I’ll try these directions. 

Hope it helps someone.

Z

HP Recommended

@ALL-N-1 wrote:

Disabling Windows Defender using regedit 

through the  command prompt got me out of the kmode exception bootloop/blue screen but now has me stuck in safe mode each time I restart. I have a feeling I did something wrong and really didn’t understand the last step to change the win defend value to 4. Does anyone have any suggestions to get it back to normal mode  now that I’m able to get into safe mode? Thanks. 

While you're in safe mode, on the keyboard press the windows key + R. Type msconfig and hit enter. Click on the boot tab. Uncheck the safe mode box.

HP Recommended

@AndWho2 wrote:

If you didn't wipe your D drive and had your games installed there, after installing Steam, all you have to do is find the setting that points to the folder where the games are stored. Then, voila, you still have your games. Of course, you have go through the pain of hours of downloading if they were on your C drive. No matter what, wiping a PC is annoying, since it takes hours to get it back to how it was.

I get it, but the part you left out is, at least for me, when you install steam or whatever you use to download your game, unfortunately it installed my games by default to the c drive which obviously would be a mistake, so I later went through the steam or geforce experience or I don't even know, some game menu? to change to D.  However when just by picking the game out of the windows start menu it does a different drive, Jesus christ how am I supposed to remember which one of these applications I'm supposed to use to access my games to properly save my settings and games to where they are supposed to be? 

Then, you've got this nightmare which is changing my d drive directory with my c drive directory when I'm in recovery mode!

Christ on a cracker, give me a break!

Thank God I gave up on the whole thing.

What a shame I spent an extra $800 dollars thinking having these extra options when I bought this PC would make it easy to run games. It didn't.  Also, these extra options like the video card were supposed to make video editing faster. It didn't.

HP Recommended

So do we know what is causing the KMODE issue? Windows Update? Windows Defender. 

I have had to reinstall Win 10 twice in the last week and I really don't want to do it again.

I have contacted HP support but they keep trying to get me run hardware tests (which always pass) and check files using scannow and DISM...blah blah blah 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.