Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

For those following this entire clusterf*ck, I have also experienced this aka got into a KMODE boot loop which started only on May 20th for me, interestingly enough. Well, I found this forum and tried disabling Windows Defender through the registry editor following the steps that have been outlined by various users here. Unfortunately, that solution did not work for. Even after doing every step I still kept having the same BSOD. I thought to myself that, ok, I can try to figure something out myself as I tend to be good at figuring stuff out and digging deep. One time I was able to find a public default key to activate Windows 10 on my grandparent's PC on some ancient forgotten Microsoft website that I found after digging for hours through pages and pages of google searches xD. Anyway, back to this issue, I decided to undo all of those instructions about disabling Windows Defender through the registry editor and went on to find another working way through the registry editor. And I must say I have succeeded!!! The way that I found is much simpler but works almost the exact same way. Here are the steps:

1) After you enter the recovery screen, go troubleshoot>advanced>command prompt.

2) In command prompt type "regedit" and hit enter.

3)In the Registry Editor, click on HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE to highlight it.

4)Click on "File" at the top left corner of the Registry Editor and then click Load Hive.

5)Go to your "My PC" or something similar on the left side of the pop up, find and double click C: drive (this is pretty much always where the Windows OS is installed and would only be on a different drive if you had manually done so yourself), then double click Windows, then System32, and finally "software".

6)Enter "temp" for the name of the key.

Here is where things are different from the other way:

7)This "temp" key that you now have created will be in the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE folder, so expand that (click little > sign beside the folder), then expand temp, find "Microsoft" and expand it, then in Microsoft click on Windows Defender.

8)As you can see on the right, there is a bunch of DWORDs already there! Find "DisableAntiSpyware" somewhere at the top, double click it and change the value there from 0 to 1.

9)I did not create the other three DWORDs in Real-Time Protection folder (which is also already there by the way xD) as simply following what was in step 8 did the trick for me, but feel free to follow the other solution to create those. I'm honestly not sure they even do anything. Additionally, as for the last step in the other solution,(going to controlset001>services>windefend, changing Start to 4) I did not even have the controlset001 folder in my temp key lol.

10) IF for some reason this doesn't work for you, I may also have a solution. You see I've kept a variable out of these steps, as I'm not sure if it had any contribution. Before I even did any of the above steps, I uninstalled the latest quality windows update in Troubleshoot>Advanced>Uninstall Windows update. Please try that as well alongside the solution above IF this solution doesn't work by itself for you.

I am currently testing if this is a permanent solution and if disabling Windows Updates is necessary or not. If it is in fact necessary and the Windows Defender has reset that 1 value back to 0 in "DisableAntiSpyware", then there easy to follow ways to disable Windows Updates on the web or even "hide" that pesky update ending with 799 by itself as somebody has already mentioned. Hope this helps someone out.

HP Recommended

@Spaniard80

That's an interesting post about these updates.

I had KB4556799 on the system, which arrived on 14th May AFTER BSODs started, and I uninstalled it yesterday. KB4549951 was on my system on 16th April, which is 3 weeks before the BSOD started on 8th May. The times don't seem to match with the occurrences of this.

I now have an interesting dichotomy. Since uninstalling KB4556799, it still appears on the Updates page in settings. However, it is NOT listed on the Control Panel Updates page, and has apparently gone.

By the same token, KB4549951, which I haven't tried to remove, is listed correctly on the Settings page, but, since the removal of KB455679, shows up with a date of 21st May, rather than 16th April!

I see references to HP Support Assistant (HPSA), which suggest to me that it (or some other HP preinstalled software) automatically and silently downloads drivers and so forth. When I have used HPSA, it has analysed the system and suggested various updates, which I can ignore or select to install. It doesn't do anything "behind my back". Have I missed something here?

HP Recommended

I just noticed that the Microsoft store has updates for a number of HP apps, are they getting through there?

HP Smart

HP Support Assistant

HP Privacy Settings

HP System Event Utility

HP PC Hardware Diagnostics

I didnt realize but you apparently have to disable updates here separately?

HP Recommended

On Wednesday, May 20th, 2020 the computer would get a Blue Screen with the "KMODE EXEPTION NOT HANDLED" when the Windows 10 login screen appeared after bootup.  System would loop several times trying to boot up but would eventually stop at the Windows recovery options.

I did a full hardware scan.  No issues. 

I was unable to access the Windows 10 desktop using Safe Mode.  Got the Blue Screen loop.

I was unable to perform a sfc/scannow in the command prompt.

After reading this thread, I uninstalled the "Quality" Updates but still got a Blue Screen when the login screen appeared after bootup.

I then did a restore back to May 13th.  That was successful and Windows 10 booted normally with no Blue Screen.  I shut off Windows Updates and turned off Virus and Threat Protections (Windows Security).   Last Windows Updates are from April 2020.  I did a sfc/scannow in a command prompt and it fixed several files.

System has been stable with no Blue Screens.  Thanks for everybody's insights.  I'm going to give Microsoft and HP a few weeks to resolve this (and after the Windows 10 Version 2004 releases) before I turn Windows Update and Security  and HP Support Assistant back on.   

HP Recommended

HELP NEEDED!

Starting from KMode Exception Not Handled BSOD > Boot Loop > Windows Reset > No Luck

I have now reached here where the graphics are also not loading now (See Image).

The product is still under warranty and I want to claim it here in UK (Bought it from Currys PC). Please guide me! 

IMG_20200522_143519.jpg

HP Recommended

From my experience with fixing this, the latest "Security Intelligence Update for Windows Defender Antivirus" fixes the problem.

After being able to get back into the system following the regedit modifications posted earlier in this thread, I went back into regedit and deleted the entries needed to be able to boot the system. Then I went to Windows Update and it immediately offered and installed "HP SoftwareComponent 4.1.4.3079". That updated the HP Analytics Service from 10/30/19 to 4/27/20. On Intel systems (this problem also affects AMD systems) It also installs KB4497165 which is an Intel microcode update. When I went to Windows Security and turned off/on Real Time Virus & Threat Protection, the computer immediately BSOD and rebooted (no BSOD boot loop this time). I then went to Windows Update again and it offered and installed "Security Intelligence Update for Windows Defender Antivirus". When I again went to Windows Security and turned off/on Real Time Virus & Threat Protection - the computer no longer BSODs.

A link to an earlier post on the regedit entries needed to add/modify to get the computer out of the boot loop: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Operating-Systems-and-Recovery/KMODE-EXCEPTION-NOT-HANDLED/m-p...

Attached are various screenshots you may see along the way during my experience of getting out of the BSOD bootloop and then the Windows Updates that occurred afterwards that fixed the problem.

Various updates available after getting out of the boot loopVarious updates available after getting out of the boot loopThe initial KMODE BSODThe initial KMODE BSODModifying the registryModifying the registryModifying the registryModifying the registryModifying the registryModifying the registryModifying the registryModifying the registryBefore HP SoftwareComponent 4.1.4.3079 installedBefore HP SoftwareComponent 4.1.4.3079 installedModifying the registryModifying the registryVarious updates available after getting out of the boot loopVarious updates available after getting out of the boot loopLatest HP SoftwareComponent 4.1.4.3079Latest HP SoftwareComponent 4.1.4.3079Before deleting the registry values created  in RecoveryBefore deleting the registry values created in Recovery 

HP Recommended

@Miller17 wrote:

I just noticed that the Microsoft store has updates for a number of HP apps, are they getting through there?

HP Smart

HP Support Assistant

HP Privacy Settings

HP System Event Utility

HP PC Hardware Diagnostics

I didnt realize but you apparently have to disable updates here separately?

Am I losing my mind? I noticed a few days ago HP Support Assistant was no longer available at the microsoft store and I had downloaded it from there in the past week for sure. The copy I'm using I downloaded from the HP Support Site when I couldn't get it from MS Store. After reading your post I opened MS Store to check if they had put it back on and IT'S NOT THERE. At first I thought maybe it just doesn't display items you have already downloaded or installed so I checked library and downloaded items and it's not there either.

I see only two of the five you listed.  HP Smart and HP Hardware Diagnostics.

I'm beginning to develop some kind of complex. Am I doing something wrong?

Obelisk 875-0060 , Edoras H370 chipset 84FD , Core I7-8700 , Nvidia Geforce GTX 1070 , WIN10 Home 1909 Build 18363.836
HP Recommended

@August_Fields wrote:

Am I losing my mind?...

I see only two of the five you listed.  HP Smart and HP Hardware Diagnostics.

I'm beginning to develop some kind of complex. Am I doing something wrong?

What we see in the Microsoft Store depends on the regions we are in - the US and UK stores will be different. And, I suspect that our friends at HP have been making changes in very recent days. (I've now got a different version of HP Support Assistant to the one I downloaded a week ago.)

I suspect that we are losing our minds but I don't think that you are doing much wrong. 😉

Philip
HP Recommended

@philip42h_2 wrote:

@Ferrumic wrote:

Has anyone heard or seen anything definitive from HP or Microsoft yet?

From my support call yesterday I understand the HP are well aware of the issue, and are awaiting a resolution from Microsoft. The issue does not exist in systems that have not been updated since 14th April but may exist in systems updated since then and definitely exists in systems updated since 12th May.

HP give the only advice that they can under the circumstances since there is no way for them to diagnose the build state in individual PCs - namely a factory reset or a clean install, and then IMMEDIATELY pause Windows Update (for as long as you can) to avoid getting the buggy update installed on your PC. This is not a fix but a workaround that gets folk who can't or do not want to (i.e. me) mess around under the bonnet (or hood). I've done a [second] clean install from Windows 10 Media that gets me a 1909 system with a build state of January - so supposedly 'safe'. I just get to wait and hope now that a proper fix comes along sooner rather than later (and I won't waste time and energy building my PC back up any further than I absolutely need to right now. I have Defender running but w/o virus updates which makes it about as useful as a chocolate fireguard,

Kudos to yourself and others (SaltLager et al) for the alternative workaround, disabling Defender and enabling the user to regain control of the machine and at least save the present context and data. But in all honesty I wouldn't be confident moving forward from that point w/o a fresh install in due course.

I have a call-back from HP Support this afternoon and will post back with anything additional that I am able to learn.

HP Support called back today, was pleased that I was running again and suggested that he should close the case! I didn't think that was acceptable. 🙂 He remains firmly of the view that it is a Microsoft issue to resolve and didn't expect any resolution for some time yet. I reminded him that the clock was ticking and that I wouldn't be able to pause updates beyond 24th June. I think that he took note ...

Additionally, I note that although I paused Windows updates on 20th May, and that the normal route to obtain Security Intelligence Updates for Defender is via Windows Update, I find that the latest SIU on my machine is now version 1.315.1172.0 installed on 22nd May.

My system currently remains stable - but two days hardly counts as a result ...

Philip
HP Recommended

Thank you for keeping us up to date on your progress with clear and detailed explanations! I've been following all the comments since my hp pavilion gaming desktop 690-0073w crashed on 5/15. It was good for one system restore and crashed again on 5/17 into boot loop BSOD. I have not attempted regedit in command prompt to disable defender because I have another laptop that I can use for work right now and a toddler that won't give me anymore spare time to try messing with it 😄. I am grateful I have another computer that can get me by! And I am so appreciative to all of you working so hard to figure out solutions!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.