Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

This is very interesting.

Because I've got Windows Updates as well as the Defender modules either paused or disabled, all my programs are well behind these releases.

I guess the only way around it is to enable all these things after taking an image backup, and hope for the best.

It's still a mystery to me as to what gets pushed down by HP Support Assistant. I have rerun their updates check, and the only things on offer are two HP diagnostics. It is also hopelessly inaccurate, as it shows me still needing the A40 BIOS update, which I applied months ago.

HP Recommended

@Ferrumic wrote:

This is very interesting.

Because I've got Windows Updates as well as the Defender modules either paused or disabled, all my programs are well behind these releases.

I guess the only way around it is to enable all these things after taking an image backup, and hope for the best.

It's still a mystery to me as to what gets pushed down by HP Support Assistant. I have rerun their updates check, and the only things on offer are two HP diagnostics. It is also hopelessly inaccurate, as it shows me still needing the A40 BIOS update, which I applied months ago.

Yup, that's what I'm going to do right now - take a system image backup and then through every requested update at it. It will either live or die but I'm not waiting any longer ... 😉

Edit: which I have now completed without incident - all looks fine after 10 minutes; just need to wait another 10 days before I can be anywhere near confident that it may be stable. I'll post back ...

I'm running HP Support Assistant 9.6.598.0 - or, at least that's the string in the name of the corresponding Windows app. My laptop is still on version 8 something and denies that there is an update available, Though I note the before I upgraded to version 9 on this PC it was suggesting that I need a whole load of updates that we either irrelevant or already installed - including the BIOS update ...

Philip
HP Recommended

@Philip42h_2

With this HP SA, I've more than once been to the website to download it, and there's a note on there to the effect that "later systems" will get V.9, and older ones V.8. I downloaded it this morning, and still end up with 8, showing the same old stuff. My understanding was that the version difference depends on the .NET version installed. It's a bit difficult to tell, as what's listed on the Installed Updates via the Settings screen doesn't agree with what's on updates as shown on Control Panel. 

Not that it's a major concern, but the Microsoft Store app started erroring when I went to download a purported iTunes update. I have Store set to NOT automatically update apps, as well as all the other disabled stuff. Having sorted out the reinstall script, which requires the firewall service to be running, and got the Store app back in operation, I had a poke round there to see if HPSA or anything interesting was there; as I understood some posters here had that as the source of the HP apps. Not a thing to be found!

I'm afraid that the whole Windows ecosystem is so byzantine and over-complex now, that any glitch in the smallest part produces a cascade of errors and crashes. It's the computing equivalent of the "Butterfly Effect". Oh! for the simpler times of XP and W7, without MS force-feeding their junk down on to systems.

HP Recommended

@Ferrumic wrote:

@Philip42h_2

With this HP SA, I've more than once been to the website to download it, and there's a note on there to the effect that "later systems" will get V.9, and older ones V.8. I downloaded it this morning, and still end up with 8, showing the same old stuff. My understanding was that the version difference depends on the .NET version installed. It's a bit difficult to tell, as what's listed on the Installed Updates via the Settings screen doesn't agree with what's on updates as shown on Control Panel. 

An odd thing happened yesterday that might be related. Out of the blue my action center notified me that there was a printer available on my network and did I want to install it? As I've had my printer connected all along I just went with it, but I happened to notice in the system log that as it installed the printer it provoked the windowsupdateclient to update .NET.Native.Framework.2.1 and .NET.Native.Runtime.2.1 which I'm guessing it would have done when I originally installed the printer as well.  Perhaps actions like these could explain the version difference of HPSA installed on some configurations?

p.s. I half expected to have two identical printers showing when the setup completed (It's happened before), but nope, it just installed the printer as if it had never been installed. I guess I just hadn't noticed during these multiple rebuilds that my printer hadn't connected since the last reinstall of windows.

Obelisk 875-0060 , Edoras H370 chipset 84FD , Core I7-8700 , Nvidia Geforce GTX 1070 , WIN10 Home 1909 Build 18363.836
HP Recommended

I'm not surprised that there are a multitude of odd things happening. All this reinstalling, reverting and so forth has rather screwed up the usual computing protocols, whereby updates, enhancements and the rest are normally one-track and linear. Many of us (certainly me)  have no doubt found that approach has been subverted to parallel and circular. I can understand that happening if, in effect, one is trying to reassemble the system by bolting the software components back to together. However, it's neither good nor helpful if it occurs after reinstalling from scratch.

HP Recommended

delete

HP Recommended

THANK YOU BRAINZ01! I could not get thru the last 2 lines of the original instructions. You saved us!

HP Recommended

@Miller17 wrote:

@Keiichi wrote:

@Miller17 wrote:

Same issue here, computer stuck in BSOD loop until I booted with "Disable Early Launch anti-Malware protection", was able to get windows up and running in safe mode, do the registry edits as previously detailed out, and am not taking any windows updates.  I have been solid for ~12 hours.  I have AMD processor (Ryzen 7 3700x).  Question, when the time comes and there is a solution, how do I reverse the steps that I took to disable windows defender, I have never done that level of modification of the registry, is it as simple as removing the 4 keys I created?  Probably getting ahead of myself with "undoing the fix" but want to be prepared to test the solution when it comes.  

Thanks everyone in this forum for your detailed posts and your efforts to help us all, many of us (certainly me) would be still staring at a blue screen without it.  

You can either remove them or you can change the values for all the keys to 0.

Keiichi - how do I do it, I can't do it through Regedit when windows is running right, do I have to boot to it somehow?

Sorry Miller17, I couldn't log into my account for this forum properly for the past few days.

As for Regedit, you can use it while Windows is running.  You just have to head to the same location where you added the the keys and make the changes and then restart your computer.

HP Recommended

Is there anyway to prevent this from happening again? I sent my PC off to HP yesterday and I was wondering if there is any way to prevent this BSOD problem from happening again in the future? This was an inconvenience and cost me a lot of time.

HP Recommended

When last I posted I was contemplating using the Windows Media Creation Tool to rebuild Windows with less than a clean install so that not all of my files would be clobbered.  I received advice to make some registry changes before proceeding so I thought I should look into that.  All along my greatest worry has been the loss of a lot of my files created or acquired since my last backups.  No matter how recent or old the backups were, this was going to hurt.  Anyway I launched the registry editor, followed a couple of the prescribed steps, and then realized I had MS-DOS at my fingertips!  I attached an external storage drive and began copying my files to the USB-connected drive.  BACKUP, CPBACKUP, etc. weren't included and XCOPY didn't work as I hoped so I was reduced to endless repetitions of dir, mkdir, copy folder by folder.  A price I'm willing to pay.  I've got about half of my data copied off.  (This is a break point and I'm taking it.)  When I'm finished, maybe a week from now, I should be in a position to do a clean install and I'll be reading up on that and be back here if I have questions to pose.  I'll be monitoring this thread in the interim hoping to see a breakthrough announced.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.