Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Thanks for that. It explains a lot. A pity it couldn't come here from HP and about 3 months ago!

I'm running Envy 795-0010, with WD disabled since this cropped up in May, but I have re-enabled Windows Update (last run 18/7).

There is, for me, a discrepancy in the notes concerning the BIOS update for this machine. Until recently, I was offered an update from F40 to F41 via Support Assistant, and as per HP Drivers website, and this was the SP104201 listed. I didn't instal it, but ran HPSA yesterday, which offered me F42 as SP106122. I double-checked the HP Drivers and Downloads website for this machine, and the latest BIOS update listed there is F42 A as SP106122.

I installed F42 via HPSA yesterday (29/7/20), which wasn't smooth, but Systeminfo and HPSA show that current BIOS is 42.

I will not re-enable Defender, and am using Bitdefender (paid).

This is, overall, a disgraceful mega-shambles on the part of HP and, presumably, Microsoft.

HP Recommended

I think I only successfully recovered once. Why do you want to use a third party anti-virus? From what I know, windows nowadays have comparable performance to third party softwares, while did not sacrifice much speed.

HP Recommended

I have Windows Security enabled to me that is the real test and as of 2 days ago ZERO issues, but this is a big mistake on HP's part no doubt.

HP Recommended

I am having this issue for the second time now. In May we reset my whole pc using an outdated Windows 10 version and it worked up until yesterday. The part that confuses me is that the official HP site tells me to update my bios by downloading something, but my reboot loop begins on the PIN-Login screen so I can't even access my desktop nor download anything from their website. 

HP Recommended

There is a solution if your comfortable using cmd promt.  Otherwise you can create a usb bios flash drive with the updated bios and boot to the usb to flash the update or do a clean install without network connectivity and load the bios immediately once in windows.

HP Recommended

How do you install the bios update if I can't even get the windows desktop?  I can't even get in with safe mode

HP Recommended

@cbrsmurf wrote:

How do you install the bios update if I can't even get the windows desktop?  I can't even get in with safe mode

You should look back earlier in this thread, specifically you can disable Windows Defender by using the system recovery command line.  This should allow you to boot back in.

HP Recommended

You can flash the updated BIOS by using a USB stick. Download the HP PC HW Diagnostics UEFI and the new bios to a USB on a working PC, when you launch the BIOS from a working PC select install Bios on a remote PC, complete that then move that USB on the PC you want to update and boot off it it, the install will start. Good luck.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the info.

I was able to update my bios and it has so far booted up without a BSOD.

Here's what I did:

1) Download SoftPaq for my version PC

https://support.hp.com/th-en/document/c06701407

2) Download Diagnostics UEFI

https://www8.hp.com/us/en/campaigns/hpsupportassistant/pc-diags.html

scroll down one screen for link

3) Copy both files to USB, run/decompress SoftPaq exe file

4) Boot using USB

HP Recommended

I just updated the Bios to version F.42, and I immediately received an update to F.43, I have no words!!!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.