Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

@August_Fields wrote:

> I get the feeling people who were using a different antivirus in April and early May didn't run into this error and so they aren't here now heh.

I don't think that's it. I had been using malwarebytes for about a year when this started for me last week. I never checked before to see if defender was turned off by it because I never had any problem. But when I ran the dumpanalyzer after my first blue screen all it said that I could understand was the faulting program was msmpeng.exe. Now, wether this was caused by defender itself, or some kind of cross talk between the defender structure in place and my AV , or just some element of windows defender I can't say. But judging from all I've read in this forum, defender or some  underlying or associated software structure (perhaps HP's software, maybe some driver?) seems to be trying to overwrite or access a protected memory location used by windows itself. But now with my system reverting to mcaffee after a factory reinstall, I've checked and only windows defender firewall services are actually running in services. Windows Defender itself is not running. Of course, without any acknowledgement from HP or Microsoft it's all just conjecture. Plus my system has only been up with virtually no added apps for a day or so, so given this problem's habit of reappearing days or weeks after we apply these fixes there's just no way to know when we will have a resolution without some kind of statement from some software folks. It just sucks 'cause I just got this new PC about a year ago after using the same laptop for 12 years and I was freakin' lovin it ! ! !

msmpeng.exe is the Defender process. I'd take a stab at something HP puts in their BIOS/UEFI that's non-standard. Possibly Defender is trying to use the address that should be free or contain some regular code since this only seems to be affecting HPs. Either something in the BIOS or microcode of the CPUs that Defender is having problems accessing.

HP Recommended

@wolfdd wrote:

Sure thing. I know how frustrated everyone is with this and would love for this to be the problem solver. 20 minutes and still going strong!

Honestly idk what I did but I have gone over an hour right now without a BSOD after disabling windows defender lol. Maybe it is a problem with windows defender and the update today IS a fix!! 😄

So make sure you're keeping defender on. If you can go like 2 hours without a blue screen while watching videos or playing a game I might go for it and download.

HP Recommended

@wolfdd wrote:

Sure thing. I know how frustrated everyone is with this and would love for this to be the problem solver. 20 minutes and still going strong!

Have you tried shutting off real-time protection in the Window Security section?  Does it BSOD?

HP Recommended

{Deleted}

HP Recommended

Interestingly enough, the problem computer has McAfee installed so I don't see that option under Virus Protection. I hope I'm not knocking on wood here, but I believe this update fixed the issue.

HP Recommended

@wolfdd wrote:

Interestingly enough, the problem computer has McAfee installed so I don't see that option under Virus Protection. I hope I'm not knocking on wood here, but I believe this update fixed the issue.

Hmm, so did you have McAfee installed prior to it BSODing?  Was hoping that having a 3rd Party virus protection, hence disabling Windows Defender would prevent the BSOD.  As for the security intelligence updates, they come fast and furious, as they are updated very frequently.  If you do a manual windows update check every now and then, you can almost guarantee to get a new one.  I got 4 since I restored my system yesterday:

HP Recommended

Perhaps there are multiple issues to solve then. This one did have McAfee before BSODing BUT it only started yesterday. My other computer was BSODing for 2 weeks but it stopped yesterday after a Windows update. 

The update that came out today (1.315.1076.0) seems to have fixed it.

I hope that helps.

HP Recommended

I have been having the same issue with my ryzen 7 hp. When it first occurred I could only get to the log in screen then it would BSOD and reboot. I reinstalled windows and was able to get a little farther where I uninstalled McFee. That seemed to fix the issue for a couple days.....but now I'm here so I guess that states the obvious.

HP Recommended

{Deleted}

HP Recommended

@wolfdd wrote:

Perhaps there are multiple issues to solve then. This one did have McAfee before BSODing BUT it only started yesterday. My other computer was BSODing for 2 weeks but it stopped yesterday after a Windows update. 

The update that came out today (1.315.1076.0) seems to have fixed it.

I hope that helps.

Yuck, that makes this messy.  It seems to point to HP's Drivers and/or Windows Defender.

Okay, I'll re-enable the background Windows Drivers Update but leave my Windows Defender disabled with Kaspersky running.  Wish me luck........

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.