Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

@diggaoz wrote:

So do we know what is causing the KMODE issue? Windows Update? Windows Defender. 

I have had to reinstall Win 10 twice in the last week and I really don't want to do it again.

I have contacted HP support but they keep trying to get me run hardware tests (which always pass) and check files using scannow and DISM...blah blah blah 

NOPE! And I did all those tests before even googling the KMODE thing.  Both HP and Microsoft have developed very tight lips regarding the issue. In this forum it has pretty much been decided if you run the latest windows and HP software updates with windows defender enabled you will find yourself in a blue screen loop. That's all. No other answers.

Obelisk 875-0060 , Edoras H370 chipset 84FD , Core I7-8700 , Nvidia Geforce GTX 1070 , WIN10 Home 1909 Build 18363.836
HP Recommended

@Zandian wrote:

Had the same problem. Talked to someone at HP who started me down the basic troubleshooting routine, but as soon as I said I think it is a driver issue caused by some sort of update and mentioned KMODE she told me the KMODE issue is a known issue. I was driving when she called me so I asked her to send me just the directions to specifically address the KMODE issue and the following was what she sent me:

As you mentioned you are getting Kmode error, i would request you to perform the following step and have a check,

1>Please disconnect all the devices and cables connected to your computer including the power cable and then press and hold the power button for about 20 seconds and connect the power cable back again and try to power on the computer.

STEP 2>>

• In the safe mode under device manager
  • Uninstall the display adapter
  • Check if there is any hidden drivers and uninstall all of them
  • Reboot the PC and check  
  • Still the same issue run the SFC/ SCANNOW command from Command prompt (F11 recovery screen)

Please try these steps, If you are still experiencing  issues with your product and would like to attempt another Chat interaction, please visit the following :

HP Website - https://support.hp.com

Thank you for contacting HP Technical Support. We value your loyalty and very much appreciate your patience and understanding throughout the process.

I haven’t actually tried this because somehow I got mine working (for now) by resetting, downloading all windows drivers, but not allowing HP to update the two Realtek drivers in the HP Support Manager. That seemed to work for me. But time will tell. If mine goes out again I’ll try these directions. 

Hope it helps someone.

Z

Did anyone try these steps yet? I got in touch with HP and the representative told me to do the same thing.

Do I just left click my display adapter then click "uninstall device"? Will it affect me using my display card? I have NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 under Display adapters

When they say "if there is any hidden drivers and uninstall all of them", they mean hidden Display adapters drivers? Where should I check?

Thanks and sorry if these are dumb questions

HP Recommended

After a clean install of Windows yesterday, I have been running without a BSOD for almost 24 hours. I left the preinstalled McAfee running, Defender off, and ran all Windows and Microsoft Store updates, but no hp support updates as the only two available updates failed anyways the last couple of Windows installs. I’m not a fan of McAfee but if it keeps me from having a BSOD until they sort this out, I’ll suck it up and live with it. 

HP Recommended

@wwc2 wrote:

@Zandian wrote:

Had the same problem. Talked to someone at HP who started me down the basic troubleshooting routine, but as soon as I said I think it is a driver issue caused by some sort of update and mentioned KMODE she told me the KMODE issue is a known issue. I was driving when she called me so I asked her to send me just the directions to specifically address the KMODE issue and the following was what she sent me:

As you mentioned you are getting Kmode error, i would request you to perform the following step and have a check,

1>Please disconnect all the devices and cables connected to your computer including the power cable and then press and hold the power button for about 20 seconds and connect the power cable back again and try to power on the computer.

STEP 2>>

• In the safe mode under device manager
  • Uninstall the display adapter
  • Check if there is any hidden drivers and uninstall all of them
  • Reboot the PC and check  
  • Still the same issue run the SFC/ SCANNOW command from Command prompt (F11 recovery screen)

Please try these steps, If you are still experiencing  issues with your product and would like to attempt another Chat interaction, please visit the following :

HP Website - https://support.hp.com

Thank you for contacting HP Technical Support. We value your loyalty and very much appreciate your patience and understanding throughout the process.

I haven’t actually tried this because somehow I got mine working (for now) by resetting, downloading all windows drivers, but not allowing HP to update the two Realtek drivers in the HP Support Manager. That seemed to work for me. But time will tell. If mine goes out again I’ll try these directions. 

Hope it helps someone.

Z

Did anyone try these steps yet? I got in touch with HP and the representative told me to do the same thing.

Do I just left click my display adapter then click "uninstall device"? Will it affect me using my display card? I have NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 under Display adapters

When they say "if there is any hidden drivers and uninstall all of them", they mean hidden Display adapters drivers? Where should I check?

Thanks and sorry if these are dumb questions

The problem with those instructions is that it's generic and not specific to this issue.  They still think you can get into safe mode.  For those of us who have experienced the KMODE BSOD stuck in boot loop, we couldn't even get into safe mode and initially we either had to restore from a recovery point or do a brand new Windows install.  Luckily, we've seem to nailed a way to recover from the Boot Loop via the registry and Windows Defender.

I didn't try SFC /SCANOW during the boot loop in the recovery command prompt.  If you are stuck in the boot loop, try that and maybe you can get out of it without disabling Windows Defender.

HP Recommended

I managed to get through to Microsoft support and so far my computer has been stabilized. Uninstalling the latest Windows quality update (KB4556799) from the recovery options got my PC out of its crash loop. Microsoft tech support also had me remove KB4549951 from April and ran SFC SCANOW, which turned up a few corrupted files that were self-repaired. I've freshly reinstalled Windows 10 and everything seems stable for now -- the computer was crashing every 11 minutes exactly but it has been crash-free since the installation ended. I have Windows Updates disabled for the time being, and I haven't made any changes to Windows Defender, the registry, or anything like that.

HP Recommended

Yeah the error sometimes works in intervals...a couple episodes with me it was 10 minute and then 3 minute intervals.

I do still have KB4556799 installed...not sure if I got KB4549951, it doesn't show up in the update history anyways.

Overall I'm using McAfee, got fast startup disabled, and paused Window Updates aside from what I did when I did reset.  Today will be 2nd day without a crash...so I'll keep status quo until a solid answer is really around.

HP Recommended

When I did factory reset (keeping files) I installed Steam on C drive, and my game data was still on D drive but I deleted that and just re-downloaded games to D drive rather than trying to  have Steam recognize that data as there already.

Most Steam save data will be on the drive Steam is installed on (userdata in Steam folder).

But some save data gets saved in My Documents on C, and some save data is not linked to Steam Cloud so one has to be mindful of that because that would need manual backup (on USB drive).

HP Recommended

I just wanted to give my update.

Instead of doing a factory reset I re-installed Windows from a bootable USB created with Windows Media Creation Tool.

With whatever version that was installed with Windows Media Creation Tool (it wasn't the latest cumulative updates), I was able to reproduce the same BSOD by toggling Real-Time Protection and Cloud-based protection but I didn't have any crash looping and kept Windows Defender enabled. I didn't want to mess with anything else so I went to bed.

Today I woke up and saw some people saying the latest definitions fixed the blue screen that is triggered when toggling Real-Time Protection and Cloud-based protection. So I updated the definitions while keeping the updates paused and sure enough I couldn't trigger the Blue Screen.

Possibly against better judgment, I went ahead and re-enabled updates, and installed HP drivers just to see what would happen. I have everything backed up so I don't have much to lose at the moment and can easily get my stuff reinstalled.

It's been maybe two hours since I updated and things have been stable, so maybe it was somehow a faulty definition but we'll see if it holds out.

HP Recommended

@Spaniard80 wrote:

I managed to get through to Microsoft support and so far my computer has been stabilized. Uninstalling the latest Windows quality update (KB4556799) from the recovery options got my PC out of its crash loop. Microsoft tech support also had me remove KB4549951 from April and ran SFC SCANOW, which turned up a few corrupted files that were self-repaired. I've freshly reinstalled Windows 10 and everything seems stable for now -- the computer was crashing every 11 minutes exactly but it has been crash-free since the installation ended. I have Windows Updates disabled for the time being, and I haven't made any changes to Windows Defender, the registry, or anything like that.

Good to hear!  As a test, can you manually try to turn off real-time protection in Windows Security settings?  Turn it back on if it doesn't BSOD right away.  

With everyone's help, it's good that we are now able to keep our systems up until an official fix is out.

HP Recommended

K, now this is getting really interesting.

HP support assistant now displays a different result in the updates history than it did yesterday, and I haven't reloaded anything or made any updates through windows update or HP support assistant. Here are screen snips of the update history, one from yesterday at 6:16 am and one from today at 2:01 am. There are two updates it's not reporting now? The bluetooth driver that initially failed to install, but did on a retry, and the HP PC hardware diagnostics UEFI have disappeared.

Just can someone please help me out here? How does this make sense? Were they automatically uninstalled, or was the list just propagated differently somehow? I have the assistant set to not make automatic updates. What could be the explanation for this?

HSA 5/22 2:01amHSA 5/22 2:01amHSA 5/21 6:16amHSA 5/21 6:16am

Obelisk 875-0060 , Edoras H370 chipset 84FD , Core I7-8700 , Nvidia Geforce GTX 1070 , WIN10 Home 1909 Build 18363.836
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.