Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

@Emma1011 wrote:

yeah windows defender is my only anti-virus software

Have you already restored from a previous save point?  I would try installing a 3rd party product.

Since the last BSOD, I've stuck with Kaspersky and "knock on wood", good so far.  I'm a Pavilion Gaming Desktop as well.

HP Recommended

The BIOS update to F.31 worked!! As soon as it completed it got me back in and we worked in it for an hour with no issues. We are now updating to W10 2004, and latest Wndows and HP updates.

HP Recommended

Glad to hear that! Will try update BIOS to F31 later when I get home! Thanks!

HP Recommended

I can confirm these things:

Temporary workaround: Disable the WinDefend service via WinRE recovery console (you will need to import your SYSTEM hive into regedit). Note that while this does work, on the next reboot Windows will most likely re-enable WinDefend, so you will have more BSODs until the underlying problem is actually fixed.

Actual fix: updating BIOS to F.43 Rev.A (Jul 16, 2020) on my Pavillion 690-0048no fixed the problem.

HP Recommended

@Keiichi wrote:

@Emma1011 wrote:

yeah windows defender is my only anti-virus software

Have you already restored from a previous save point?  I would try installing a 3rd party product.

Since the last BSOD, I've stuck with Kaspersky and "knock on wood", good so far.  I'm a Pavilion Gaming Desktop as well.

I too have a Pavilion Gaming Desktop 790-0050t.  I had to send mine back to HP to repair the May BSOD.  After I got it back, I've been running Avast for anti-virus on day 1.  Did all the BIOS and Windows update, and "knock on wood" as well, no issue.

HP Recommended

Did you send your PC to HP assistence?so had an hardware issue too?Sorry,maybe i don't understood well,or maybe is Win Defender that gives trouble as always?

HP Recommended

@PhilItaly wrote:

Did you send your PC to HP assistence?so had an hardware issue too?Sorry,maybe i don't understood well,or maybe is Win Defender that gives trouble as always?

No, I sent it back to HP (under warranty) because of the May BSOD.  I purchased mine in February, so it was still under warranty.

While my PC was getting repaired, I found this forum, and I learned this whole debacle is a HP vs. Windows Defender issue.  I did not know what was causing the BSOD, I was sure it had to be a hardware issue.

Following what everyone suggested in this forum, Day 1 when I got my PC back from repair- I installed Avast.

HP Recommended

I am away at the moment - my desktop is safely switched off! As of 20th July my Envy was fully up-to-date, still on 1909 (2004 still not yet ready for me) and running Defender as always. I've had no problems since May's debacle but maybe there's trouble waiting when I get back ...

Do we know when the latest round first started? Do we know the exact cause this time? Have any of the BSOD sufferers analysed a mini dumup to pinpoint the source?

Philip
HP Recommended

072820-7078-01.dmp

7/28/2020 11:06:12 PM

KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

ntoskrnl.exe

ntoskrnl.exe+3ddb60

NT Kernel & System

Microsoft® Windows® Operating System

10.0.19041.388 (WinBuild.160101.0800)

x64

ntoskrnl.exe+3ddb60

HP Recommended

Here is what FINALLY fixed it for me..

https://support.hp.com/th-en/document/c06701407

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.