Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Has anyone heard or seen anything definitive from HP or Microsoft yet?

My machine is now at a "standstill" as far as HP and MS stuff is concerned. I have:-

• disabled Defender in the registry edit fix and also in gpedit (I have Pro 1909)
  • disabled Defender scheduled tasks
  • disabled associated services via Sysinternals Autoruns (start dwords set to 4)
  • disabled Update and "drivers in update" via gpedit
  • Tamper Protection was turned off before I started, and the "disabled" regkey value should be 0 (5 is enabled). Mine is 4, and nobody seems to know why.

I have an image backup from April 24 (now copied to several devices, although it's 117gb). If I knew and was sure which of these forced updates has bricked the system, and what is to be expected from HP/MS to fix this catastrophe, I could turn off  ethernet, restore the image, go through the steps to stop things as above, especially Update, and reconnect, but not for now.

The usual proffered solution from HP and MS of reloading Windows is useless bs. There's not a lot of point in rebuilding the system, only for it to be flooded with junk updates and screwed yet again.

I have a lot of applications running on my machine, which would take some time to reload, re-register with codes and so forth. However, one really critical paid-for application (expensive) is licensed via a supplier server lookup, which limits the number of installs, to prevent the package being propagated for free. It has first to be uninstalled, which ain't going to happen if the machine is a pile of useless parts, and involves endless trouble. Neither HP or MS seem to have any grasp of the real-world problems these cockups create.  

HP Recommended

...last time I buy a HP computer. They don't care about us customers

I have HP Pavilion Gaming Desktop 790-00xx and the same problem as everybody here. I don't feel safe enough to edit the register. I need to wait for an update from MS or HP.

HP Recommended

We have taken the same actions and had the same problems with this. On my system - I7 7800 1070, purchased February, 2019 - only a factory reinstall would work for me as well. I also started using file history to backup personal files every ten minutes and have restored them with success after doing repeated windows reinstalls. I could not make registry changes to disable windows defender because I would get a "file in use, select another key or file" error when trying to do so through the troubleshooting recovery command file registry editor steps shown in this forum. I have not disabled windows updates and also did all recommended updates from the HP support assistant after the last reinstall. I have done only minimal configuration and personalizations since reloading last time. I mean, until a definitive solution is announced by HP/Microsoft why bother? Also, for anyone who had difficulties restoring from file history backups in the past, I used this post to finally achieve success with it. https://www.techrepublic.com/article/how-to-correctly-use-file-history-to-transfer-data-files-to-a-n...

My system has been operating without BSOD for 42 hours now. Windows update is not downloading new security definitions for defender, I guess because Mcaffee is active and defender is not. However, I find it interesting that the windows defender firewall service is running when I check in services.msc, as well as the Mcaffee firewall service. What's up with that? I don't dare try to address the duplication, it's not worth it right now while I'm not experiencing problems. I haven't installed any of my programs other than chrome. What would I do that for, when I don't know if any second I could be wiping and reinstalling windows? I'm attaching screen snips of all the software updates that have been installed since my last factory reset.

windows updateswindows updatesHP Support Assistant UpdatesHP Support Assistant Updates

Obelisk 875-0060 , Edoras H370 chipset 84FD , Core I7-8700 , Nvidia Geforce GTX 1070 , WIN10 Home 1909 Build 18363.836
HP Recommended

@Ferrumic wrote:

Has anyone heard or seen anything definitive from HP or Microsoft yet?

From my support call yesterday I understand the HP are well aware of the issue, and are awaiting a resolution from Microsoft. The issue does not exist in systems that have not been updated since 14th April but may exist in systems updated since then and definitely exists in systems updated since 12th May.

HP give the only advice that they can under the circumstances since there is no way for them to diagnose the build state in individual PCs - namely a factory reset or a clean install, and then IMMEDIATELY pause Windows Update (for as long as you can) to avoid getting the buggy update installed on your PC. This is not a fix but a workaround that gets folk who can't or do not want to (i.e. me) mess around under the bonnet (or hood). I've done a [second] clean install from Windows 10 Media that gets me a 1909 system with a build state of January - so supposedly 'safe'. I just get to wait and hope now that a proper fix comes along sooner rather than later (and I won't waste time and energy building my PC back up any further than I absolutely need to right now. I have Defender running but w/o virus updates which makes it about as useful as a chocolate fireguard,

Kudos to yourself and others (SaltLager et al) for the alternative workaround, disabling Defender and enabling the user to regain control of the machine and at least save the present context and data. But in all honesty I wouldn't be confident moving forward from that point w/o a fresh install in due course.

I have a call-back from HP Support this afternoon and will post back with anything additional that I am able to learn.

Philip
HP Recommended

hp UEFI sp102396 version 7.6.0.0 seem maybe the problem causing these kmode not handle, haven't installed it yet pc seem stable.

HP Recommended
HP Recommended

I get the exact same error in Blue Screen View

HP Recommended

Just noticed in the event viewer system log WindowsUpdateClient did an update to dozens of the built in system apps last night on my system. These don't show up when you view update history from windows update settings.  It only took 2 minutes from the beginning to the end. This could be normal, but I'm just trying to look everywhere for clues as to what's going on.

Obelisk 875-0060 , Edoras H370 chipset 84FD , Core I7-8700 , Nvidia Geforce GTX 1070 , WIN10 Home 1909 Build 18363.836
HP Recommended

I am currently trying to replicate the error, but it seems that i can't.

after the last occurrence the system restore took me to one day before it happend (19.05.2020) again.

i paused windows updates and manually deleted the update cache.

then i used the hp support tool to check for updates.

it just installed an UEFI update, but that is dated back to DEC 2019 and some new AMD/ATI graphics drivers.

i did not disable anything else, like defender.

then i used windows upate again, to see what new uptadates it wants to install.

there was one update, but according to my search it does only contain microcode updates for intel,

which is not relevant for this Ryzen system, and something called "HP inc. SoftwareComponent - 4.1.4.3079".

But that apperently dates back to January ? don't know why it only installs just now.

Automatic updates are enabled and it is always up to date.

however, it is still running stable.

i have manually triggerd two full disc scans with defender.

i have shutdown the system multiple times. it always comes back up fine for now.

(because the bluescreens always said: "your PC couldn't turn off properly")

i can't replicate this bluescreen, but i will try.

will keep it running some time and restart it from time to time. 

maybe they have pulled the update ?

it has to be something that comes over the win update. it's the only thing that makes changes on this machine.

HP Recommended

I am on day 5 now and still up and running on my Omen 875.  I have Windows Update paused for 30days, and have not installed HP Support assistant, so no HP updates.  

Just FYI for others, I tried the Windows Defender disable with the registry and on reboot when I would first log in I would get a "We cant sign into your account", and Microsoft would create a TEMP user.  Logging out and trying to log in with know Microsoft user would not work, and on each login, it would create another TEMP0001 user.  

From what I have read, I believe what happened was somehow by disabling Defender and Real Time Protection, Microsoft believes I have been hacked, and they are not allowing me to log in using my Microsoft Account.   Turning everything back on, did NOT fix this, I tried many things and could not recover that account, eventually I read I have to create a new account and copy the previous user data to my new user.   

I am now logging in as local\Admin, decided to stop trying to log in using a Microsoft account.  

So although I have been 5 days without a BSOD, it has not been free of issue 😞 

Curious if others are logging in with MS accounts or just using a local account. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.