Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

I am running fine today (5/30/2020) after doing the recovery on Friday (5/29/2020).   I did a full system image backup as protection.  Also, I will not be using my HP TP01-0066 as my main PC for a while.  I will probably wait until I apply the June Quality update and run for a week or more successfully.

I will post a weekly update going forward.

HP Recommended

This is what I don't get. I'm now operating after 11 days without BSOD. I reloaded to factory settings 11 days ago, which turned defender off. I disabled the third party AV and then enabled WU 9 days ago after realizing no one was going to fess up about who was responsible and seeing others implying defender updates had solved the problem.

This HP Inc. - SoftwareComponent - 4.1.4.3079 seems to have been downloaded when I turned WU back on.  This displays this as a "driver update" from HP and some have suggested this was purposefully released by HP to solve this specific failure. However, when I go to HP support assistant nothing is displayed there.

I thought I would test this, or perhaps do a system suicide by uninstalling this update just to check, however when I go to uninstall updates in windows updates it doesn't list the update as one I can uninstall.

So, as a "driver update" I should be able to identify this update by going through the device manager and identifying my drivers by version, right?

It's not displayed there. I went through every single component and it's not listed anywhere.

I'm very confused as I consulted a book about windows 10 to learn more about what could have caused this nightmare which specifically said "You should never, ever install a driver update from microsoft. Instead, if you're having problems, go to your hardware manufactuerer's website, and get if from them. 

So, where is the guidance from HP? 

I just don't get it. Where is this HP driver software being distributed from?  Why hasn't it been promoted from HP support assistant, when its being loaded from windows updates?

I'm just really, really confused right now.

Obelisk 875-0060 , Edoras H370 chipset 84FD , Core I7-8700 , Nvidia Geforce GTX 1070 , WIN10 Home 1909 Build 18363.836
HP Recommended

I have two affected HP Pavilons. In one case, I had to set up the system again with an installation medium because I couldn't get past the BSOD. For the other (which only crashed in a BSOD every 11 minutes and then started again for another 11 minutes), I waited until I read in this forum that the problem might have been solved and initiated an update of the Defender. Since then everything has been running smoothly again. HP and Microsoft appear to have fixed the bug.
It is astonishing that I still have a third HP Pavilon, in which the error never appeared. The difference between this and the affected computers is that it only has one SSD, while the two affected devices have an SSD and an HDD. Therefore, the presumed driver problem could be due to this combination.

HP Recommended

@Andreas_DE wrote:

I have two affected HP Pavilons. In one case, I had to set up the system again with an installation medium because I couldn't get past the BSOD. For the other (which only crashed in a BSOD every 11 minutes and then started again for another 11 minutes), I waited until I read in this forum that the problem might have been solved and initiated an update of the Defender. Since then everything has been running smoothly again. HP and Microsoft appear to have fixed the bug.
It is astonishing that I still have a third HP Pavilon, in which the error never appeared. The difference between this and the affected computers is that it only has one SSD, while the two affected devices have an SSD and an HDD. Therefore, the presumed driver problem could be due to this combination.

K, that's actually very useful information. My configuration has a 256gb SSD system drive and  a 1 terabyte HDD.  Could you be on to something?

Obelisk 875-0060 , Edoras H370 chipset 84FD , Core I7-8700 , Nvidia Geforce GTX 1070 , WIN10 Home 1909 Build 18363.836
HP Recommended

@August_Fields wrote:

@Andreas_DE wrote:

K, that's actually very useful information. My configuration has a 256gb SSD system drive and  a 1 terabyte HDD.  Could you be on to something?

Five PCs here - four with single drive configuration running just fine; one with a dual drive configuration having problems. Interesting observation - could still be a coincidence ...

Philip
HP Recommended

@August_Fields wrote:

This is what I don't get. I'm now operating after 11 days without BSOD. I reloaded to factory settings 11 days ago, which turned defender off. I disabled the third party AV and then enabled WU 9 days ago after realizing no one was going to fess up about who was responsible and seeing others implying defender updates had solved the problem.

This HP Inc. - SoftwareComponent - 4.1.4.3079 seems to have been downloaded when I turned WU back on.  This displays this as a "driver update" from HP and some have suggested this was purposefully released by HP to solve this specific failure. However, when I go to HP support assistant nothing is displayed there.

I thought I would test this, or perhaps do a system suicide by uninstalling this update just to check, however when I go to uninstall updates in windows updates it doesn't list the update as one I can uninstall.

So, as a "driver update" I should be able to identify this update by going through the device manager and identifying my drivers by version, right?

It's not displayed there. I went through every single component and it's not listed anywhere.

I'm very confused as I consulted a book about windows 10 to learn more about what could have caused this nightmare which specifically said "You should never, ever install a driver update from microsoft. Instead, if you're having problems, go to your hardware manufactuerer's website, and get if from them. 

So, where is the guidance from HP? 

I just don't get it. Where is this HP driver software being distributed from?  Why hasn't it been promoted from HP support assistant, when its being loaded from windows updates?

I'm just really, really confused right now.

August_Fields

I assume that you have version 9 of the HP Support Assistant which installs as an App (rather than version 8 that installs as a Program).  I suspect / hope that if you Uninstall the HP Support Assistant via Settings > Apps & Features it and all its supporting paraphernalia, including HP Inc. - SoftwareComponent - 4.1.4.3079, should be removed from your PC. Note, I haven't tried this and I'm not suggesting that you do.

You should be able to find the HP Inc. - SoftwareComponent - 4.1.4.3079 'driver' via:

Device Manager > Software Components > HP Device Health Service

(see picture below) and you should be able to Disable and/or Uninstall the 'Device'  from there. Again, I haven't tried this and I'm not suggesting that you do.

HP Device Health ServiceHP Device Health Service

Philip
HP Recommended

You should be able to find the HP Inc. - SoftwareComponent - 4.1.4.3079 'driver' via:

Device Manager > Software Components > HP Device Health Service

(see picture below) and you should be able to Disable and/or Uninstall the 'Device'  from there. Again, I haven't tried this and I'm not suggesting that you do.

There it is. Thanks. I was beginning to wonder if the update was really installed or not.

Definitely going to leave it as it is since my system seems back to normal for now.

HP Recommended

Had the same BSOD. Only way to proceed was a fresh installation. Then found this thread and temporary fixed the issue by disabling Defender using Regedit, as described. Also paused all Updates. KB455679 NOT installed.

Yesterday I took the risk to enable Updates again. They started being downloaded and installing immediately and then BOOM, another BSOSD. After 1 reboot it seemed stable suddenly.

In the update history I noticed that 2 instances of KB4556799 were just (?) installed. One dated may23th and one may30th

KB4556799

PC ran stable for more then an hour and then I pressed "check for updates" again. Only now HP SoftwareComponent - 4.1.4.3079 started downloading and installing (Visible under Driver updates)

questions:

- are there different versions of this KB4556799 ? Is the second one the patched version ? And if so, wouldn't this fix only solve the issue ? Or is/was this HP - 4.1.4.3079 fix also crucial ?

PC running stable > 24 hrs now.

Thanks.

HP Recommended

Hello. The only thing i can tell you now,i have had the same issue,then i did the updated from 1909 to May 2004,now are 3 days that everything works perfect,but never say never,finger crossing! We will see.

Greetings

HP Recommended

@PhilItaly wrote:

Hello. The only thing i can tell you now,i have had the same issue,then i did the updated from 1909 to May 2004,now are 3 days that everything works perfect,but never say never,finger crossing! We will see.

Greetings

This failure has soured me on windows updates. I had constant problems with my old laptop which was 12 years old, so I thought that was the problem.  There were no driver updates (it's a thinkpad) for the past 5 years or so and there were so many loops I had to jump through to even get it to update to windows 10, I can't even remember them all.

However, I am really struck by the irony that if this was caused by defender, or definition updates to defender, paused updates on my HP desktop wouldn't even have prevented it. Defender updates are still downloaded and installed even if you have updates paused.

Currently, I have updates paused for a month.

After all I've read and the research I've done since this problem began for me, on approximately the 16th of May, checking for updates or setting windows updates to update automatically doesn't offer any advantages whatsoever.  If there is a drawback to pausing updates, either through the updates settings or setting your updates to not update through a metered connection (windows 10 home), it's only if there is some big security issue which would be reported in the news when it happened, which would alert you that you need to re-enable updates. So I will not be unpausing or checking for updates through windows update settings anymore.

In fairness though, since I got this new desktop system in February of 2019, I did not have a single issue until May of 2020, and I was installing updates as soon as they were available from windows updates, which I checked for updates often and downloaded even "optional" updates as soon as they were available.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.