Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion All in One
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am getting a "Keyboard Error message on startup. Any ideas on how to fix this?20200111_111547.jpg

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@gravitas Greetings from the HP Community!

I have a few steps to help resolve this concern:

• Try an alternate keyboard. Any USB keyboard (wired or wireless) will work on any PC
  • Try the suspect HP keyboard on a different PC if possible.
  • Try the HP keyboard or another keyboard using different USB ports on your PC.
  • Try other USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 ports.

There is either something wrong with the keyboard or something wrong with USB on the motherboard.

• Try the front USB if you are using the rear USB ports. Try the rear USB 3.0 ports.
  • The front USB ports and back USB ports are using a different USB motherboard controller. It is possible one of the USB controllers has failed or the system driver is corrupted.

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@Riddle_Decipher The keyboard is wireless and does not use or require any USB plug-in adapters so this solution does not help.

HP Recommended

@gravitas what keyboard are you referring to? it seems like there's need of some clarification,

It doesn't matter what kind of keyboard you have now, wired or wireless, I'm asking you if you could connect another keyboard via USB and check if that works fine?

Keep me posted.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@Riddle_Decipher OK. I connected a wired keyboard to the USB and the error did not appear on startup.

It looks like there are more than a couple of complaints about this error. Is there a known fix for us who want to use a wireless keyboard?

HP Recommended

@gravitas I suggest you install all available windows updates, followed by BIOS and chipset driver updates from the HP website, the same should help resolve issues with the keyboard error while on wireless keyboard as well,

If the issue persists or there are no updates available, here's what you need to do:

If the external wireless keyboard has a USB receiver, connect it to an alternate USB port, works better on a USB 3.0 port,

And if it doesn't help, reinstall the USB root hubs and restart the device before you check if this works,

Steps to reinstall:

1. Tap Windows  + X and Click on Device Manager.
  2. Under the Universal Serial Bus controllers, proceed to right click USB Root Hub (one after the other, if you have multiple instances) and choose uninstall.
  3. Restart the computer.
    (It would automatically re-install the USB device).

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.