cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bg321
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

Lock up system boots, select application and everything locks up.

HP Recommended
Example: HP Envy 700-056
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

The computer boots.  Then I select any program,  and everything lock ups.  All I can see moving is the mouse. It does this over and over.

1 REPLY 1
WAWood
Level 16
Level 16
32,577 32,477 2,955 7,259
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@bg321 

My guess would be that this is a drive issue -- here's why:

When you click on an app, the OS attempt to read the files for that app from the drive.  Once the files are read and loaded into memory, the OS returns control to you.  That usually takes only a few seconds.

But when the drive is corrupted, the OS tries over and over and over ... until it times out.  In the meantime, it has NOT returned control to you because it is waiting for the files to be read and loaded.

If your PC is new enough to support UEFI, you can use these steps to test the hard drive: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00439024

If not, to check the drive you have to follow these steps:
1) Press Esc key repeatedly, several times a second, while rebooting the laptop. Do NOT hold the key down, just press it over and over.
2) Eventually, you will see an HP Startup Menu -- that will look similar to the image below ...
HP Startup Menu.jpg
3) press the Function key for testing the hard drive (usually F2) and let it run.

Please report back the test results.

***If my post helped, click the thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation