Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Hp compaq elite 8300
Linux

I received a hp Compaq elite 8300 all in one computer from my work via donation, it came with linux mint 19.1 cinnamon. I'm trying to reinstall windows via USB. I've been following a tutorial and have downloaded the media creator on another windows device and it's on the usb. But when trying to boot I do not find my usb in my boot menu (already made bootable) when trying to enter bios which I have no clue what it even is or how to navigate I am told to enter startup password after three failed attempts it lets me navigate a small menu to change a few things but the boot order option is a lighter font and I am unable to scroll down to it. So Im kind of stuck on what I should do next or if I'm even doing it right

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

The HP Compaq Elite 8300 all in one is part of a business class line.  Depending on how the PC password is set, you might need some help from the IT dept of your company.

You should be able to enter the BIOS, if not password protected, by doing the following:

Start tapping the Esc key and then press the start button.
Keep tapping the Esc key until a popup menu shows.  Then pick the BIOS Setup F10

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/bph07110

You should then be able to set the boot order, to boot from the USB.  If you cannot get that far because of the password, ask the IT dept to allow access, and have them remove the password requirement.

Here is a note in the manual about the security password

CAUTION:If you enable the stringent security feature in Computer Setup and you forget the setup password or the power-on password, the computer is inaccessible and can no longer be used.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.