Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion 6520f
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am using windows 10. I was using the Windows Media Play and the sound just went off and now no sound. Is there any sugestion on a fiz?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

> I am still not making myself clear.

I disagree.

> The system was playing a CD, when I replaced the cd with another it would not play, not even when I put back the one I just playing.

> Nothing was done to the speakers or their plugs.

Correlation does not imply causality -- expressed differently, although the changing of the CDs was followed by the loss of sound, it does not mean that changing the CDs was the cause of the problem.

Do both CDs play in some other device, e.g., CD-player in your automobile, or in some other computer ?

Did you try shutting down your computer, unplugging the AC power, reconnecting the AC power, rebooting, and playing the first of the two CDs?

If the speakers & the headphones work when plugged into some other device, e.g., your smart-phone, they are NOT the problem.

To repeat, do you have a "home audio" system that supports SPDIF input?

If so, connect from the SPDIF output from your computer to the SPDIF input, to bypass the "green" audio socket, and test it.

To repeat, find/borrow/buy an add-in sound-card, and install it in your desktop computer.

This will disable the onboard sound circuitry on your desktop computer.

Restart your computer, and let Windows install the device-drivers for it.

Move the speaker-jack to the green socket on the new sound-card, and try it.

If you get sound, then either:

* the sound circuitry on the motherboard has failed;

* the speaker-jack on the motherboard is physically broken.

Either way, you now have working sound.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Suggestions:

1. use the volume control in Windows Media Player, to unmute or boost the volume.

2. use the volume control built-in to Windows, to unmute or boost the volume.

3. if you have external speakers, with their own volume control, unmute or boost the volume.

4. if you have external speakers that need batteries, change the batteries.

5. if you have external speakers that use AC power, turn them on, and check that they are connected to AC power.

In general, tell us more about your computer (laptop? notebook? tablet? desktop?).

HP Recommended

Hi

I have tried all your suggestions and nothing works. I didn't expain myself well in my last post. I hope this is clearer. I was ripping of CD's when I changed the CD there was no automatic opening of Window Media Play or anything else as before, so I opened the drive to play the disk and trouble shot the sound system, the message I got was "plug in speakers', I had not unplug them.  I then tried headphones and got the same message. I then tried differant sets of speakers, one power by the system and the other power external AC.  I also tried three different headphones. The CD plays but no sound. The computer has a RelTek H.D. system.  My question is has my sound card gone bad or is the secret hidden in Window 10 software????

Thank you. 

HP Recommended

> the message I got was "plug in speakers',

> I had not unplug them. 

> I then tried headphones and got the same message.

> I then tried different sets of speakers,

> I also tried three different headphones. 

The only "common" point is that you plugged all the speakers & head-phones into the same socket (hopefully the socket with a GREEN ring around it).

So, there's a possibility that the socket is physically damaged, and inserting the plug does not make any electrical connection.

Is your sound-card "integrated" into the motherboard, or do you have an "add-in" sound-card?

If the former, add an "add-in" sound-card, and "disable" the "onboard" sound-card.

If the latter, remove that "add-in" card, and "enable" the "onboard" sound-card.

Either way, your speakers/headphones will now be plugging-in to a different, hopefully working properly, socket.

HP Recommended

Integrated audio is not available if a sound card is installed.

• Number of channels: 8
  • Audio CODEC: ALC888S
  • Maximum bit depth: up to 24-bit
  • Maximum sample rate: up to 192,000 Hz
  • Supports one SPDIF digital connection

Do you have a separate sound-system that supports SPDIF input?

Can you tell your computer to send out the sound through via SPDIF output?

HP Recommended

I am still not making myself clear. The system was playing a CD, when I replaced the cd with another it would not play nor even when I put back the one I just playing. Nothing was done to the speakers or their plugs.

HP Recommended

> I am still not making myself clear.

I disagree.

> The system was playing a CD, when I replaced the cd with another it would not play, not even when I put back the one I just playing.

> Nothing was done to the speakers or their plugs.

Correlation does not imply causality -- expressed differently, although the changing of the CDs was followed by the loss of sound, it does not mean that changing the CDs was the cause of the problem.

Do both CDs play in some other device, e.g., CD-player in your automobile, or in some other computer ?

Did you try shutting down your computer, unplugging the AC power, reconnecting the AC power, rebooting, and playing the first of the two CDs?

If the speakers & the headphones work when plugged into some other device, e.g., your smart-phone, they are NOT the problem.

To repeat, do you have a "home audio" system that supports SPDIF input?

If so, connect from the SPDIF output from your computer to the SPDIF input, to bypass the "green" audio socket, and test it.

To repeat, find/borrow/buy an add-in sound-card, and install it in your desktop computer.

This will disable the onboard sound circuitry on your desktop computer.

Restart your computer, and let Windows install the device-drivers for it.

Move the speaker-jack to the green socket on the new sound-card, and try it.

If you get sound, then either:

* the sound circuitry on the motherboard has failed;

* the speaker-jack on the motherboard is physically broken.

Either way, you now have working sound.

HP Recommended

> the message I got was "plug in speakers".

The motherboard can detect when something is physically inserted into the "audio-output" jack,

because the insertion moves a piece of conducting metal, to close an electrical "loop".

If that piece of conducting metal is broken, or corroded, or if inserting the plug does not move that piece far enough to close the circuit, then you get the "plug in the speakers" message, because the electrical loop is "open".

Audio_Jack_explained.png

To compare, in your home, a light-switch can fail.  It does not mean that the light-bulb that it controls is broken.

[I had to replace a light-switch last week.  It probably worked for over 50 years, since the house was built, but it finally wore out.]

HP Recommended

Thanks I guess I will try a new sound card.  If I had removed the plug this could be true.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.