Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Hi:

The next time you get that  HTML in message error, just click on the blue Post button again, and your message as you wrote it should go through.

The automated editor had already removed whatever HTML code it didn't like.

Sounds to me like the onboard graphics adapter is no good.

I have bought all of my HP business class PC's on eBay.

Never had a problem with any of them.

Sorry that you haven't been as fortunate.

All of the HP 8xxx Elite business desktops are excellent PC's--especially the CMT models, which provide more space and flexibility for upgrades.

I suppose you can get a HP 8200 or 8300 Elite pretty cheaply nowadays, but maybe I'm mistaken.

There is a chip shortage out there, so folks are buying used PC's more, I believe.

On the PC's I bought with W7, I upgraded all of them to W10 Pro, now that W7 is out of support.

I wouldn't get anything older than an 8200 Elite, because that was the first model that came with a SATA 3 drive controller.

If you can swing it, I would opt for a newer model PC like the 800 G1 or 800 G2 which have front USB 3 ports.

The 8300 Elite has USB 3 ports too, but there are only two of them in the back.

USB 3 is very convenient if you do a lot of stuff with USB 3 portable hard drives, such as PC backups.

Most likely the 800 G1 and G2's will have come with W10, but can run W7 if you need them to.

I only bought PC's from sellers on eBay with at least a few thousand transactions, and a 99% or better feedback rating.

HP Recommended

Great!  That is good to know!  I was really starting to doubt my judgement about purchasing Desktops on eBay.    I have been hesitating about taking up the search again.  I will be walking the second PC I bought to UPS station around the block this morning.

Then start my search for HP 800 G1 or G2's.

If I were to invest in a new HP Desktop, is there one you might suggest?

Open mind Pure intent
HP Recommended

Hi:

If you want a new one, this is the generation that replaced the Elitedesk 8xxx, series, and the Elitedesk 800 Gx series towers.

They are now called 'entry level workstations' instead of Elite business desktops.

I'd be looking into the Z2 G8 model.

HP Z2 Workstation | HP® Official Store

They are showing some configurations in the $850 range (Z2 G4).

If you prefer the SFF models, those are still Elitedesks...

HP® Elite Desktops

HP Recommended

Excellent!   I have spent a few hours today looking at the refurbished  800 G1 & G2 desktops. Saved several to compare later.

I checked out the New ones and I WANT ONE!!!

Thanks again, Paul, for your time and advise!!

Open mind Pure intent
HP Recommended

Anytime.

Glad to have been of assistance.

HP Recommended

Hi Paul,

PROCESSOR / CHIPSET: CPU Intel Core i7 (3rd Gen) 3770 / 3.4 GHz

Max Turbo Speed 3.9 GHz     Number of Cores Quad-Core

64-bit Computing Yes   Chipset Type Intel Q77 Express

Intel Turbo Boost Technology 2

CACHE MEMORY:  8 MB Cache Per Processor

RAM:  16 GB DDR3 SDRAM - non-ECC Max  32 GB 

PC3-12800 Features unbuffered 1600 MHz

Form Factor DIMM 240-pin   Slots Qty 4

Interface Type Serial ATA-600   Type none

HARD DRIVE:   Type SSD   Capacity 256 GB

HARD DRIVE (2ND):   Type HDD:   Interface Class Serial ATA   Installed Qty 1   Capacity 1 TB

STORAGE CONTROLLER:   Interface Type Serial ATA-600 Type Serial ATA   Installed Qty 1

HARD DRIVE (3RD)   Type none

Those are some of the components on my recently purchased refurbished HP Compaq Elite 8300 CMT (Convertible Mini Tower)

I was just wondering if I could slip my Compaq 6000 Hard Drive w/ Win 7 64 bit

into it?  I really hate having to start all over setting up a new (to me) Desktop while also learning and putting up with Windows 10.  Microsoft wants to rule your life.  They are the Stasi-Jack Boots of operating systems. The PC Nazi's!! They are just like Google. They want to own and control everything. They have apps that track and know what you are doing every second of the time you are even in range of your PC. If you try not to use their apps and gimmicks or browsers they make it very difficult for you and to use any of the apps installed on your own desktop, you have to sign into a Microsoft account every time!!! 

It's getting tougher all the time to remain a dinosaur like me.

What would happen if I just took the Hard Drive out of this newer computer and replaced it with my Win 7 Hard Drive from the computer that I have yet to fix?  That Hard Drive has the Win 7 operating system and all my programs and files on it right?

Open mind Pure intent
HP Recommended

I think it has a 75%-25% for chance of working.

The drive would have support for the Intel series 4 chipset and you would be installing into a PC with an Intel Series 7 chipset.

As long as the SATA AHCI storage controller is forgiving it should work.

If it boots up, W7 will install some drivers, and you will need to restart the PC.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.