Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP 260 G2
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hi, I need to install on an HP 260 g2, Windows 7/64 on a new 250 Gb hdd. Win 7 requires a MBR partition, so I have disabled in the BIOS the protected mode, and enabled the Legacy support. After this, I have used the diskpart to clean the hdd and convert to MBR. The disk is regularly viewed by the BIOS. I have also created an USB pen with the Cloud recovery tool by HP. The recovery starts regularly, but when it arrives at the step to choose the partition on which to install the OS, there is a warning saying that is impossible to install on that disk, because the hardware of the pc does not support the disk.

I have also tried to enable in BIOS the protected mode and disable the Legacy, converting the hdd in GPT, but the result is the same...

Where have I been wrong?

Thanks and sorry for my bad english.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi

I do not see where you are wrong.

If I had a bootable W7 media and had a Legacy MBR disk to install to, and it was not installing, I would drop down to the CLI Command Prompt and look for the HDD there.

W7 Boot Mgr.png

I would consider trying to partition the device using Diskpart.

If that worked then it is theoretically possible to copy your Boot Media to the new partition and run the setup from there.  Proving the Disk works.

Although my W7 disk has:-

BootMgr

BootMgr.efi

setup.exe

which might mean it is suitable for GPT.

If in doubt please ask.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi

I do not see where you are wrong.

If I had a bootable W7 media and had a Legacy MBR disk to install to, and it was not installing, I would drop down to the CLI Command Prompt and look for the HDD there.

W7 Boot Mgr.png

I would consider trying to partition the device using Diskpart.

If that worked then it is theoretically possible to copy your Boot Media to the new partition and run the setup from there.  Proving the Disk works.

Although my W7 disk has:-

BootMgr

BootMgr.efi

setup.exe

which might mean it is suitable for GPT.

If in doubt please ask.

HP Recommended

Hi dear CF4 professor, :generic:

effectively I did not thought to the "trick" of copying the content of the USB pen on the new hdd, and to use it as boot device, after the bootrec commands.

I tried it, and now I happily have a Win 7 OS in my HP 260 G2 pc.

Almost all well, except the matter that anyway the hdd was not recognized in the "normal" or typical procedure to recovery the OS.

I still don't understand why this is happened.

However I thanks you very much for the help and "God save the HP" for its support ! :LaughingTears:

Fulvio.

HP Recommended

Prego.

Being English "God save the Queen" is my preferred choice.

HP Recommended

@CF4 wrote:

Prego.

Being English "God save the Queen" is my preferred choice.

Absolutely yes...

And however I woul like to say that my expression is only daughter of yours, surely well more honorable !

Thanks again.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.