Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Latitude E6430s
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I’m using WINDOWS 10 on an HP Slim desktop computer. It’s less than a year old.

On August 15th, after downloading the latest Windows updates, I suddenly couldn’t open any files. The search function wouldn’t work, and the entire system was locked in Safe Mode. All attempts to re-start were unsuccessful. It still had me locked in Safe Mode. My internet security is AVAST together with Malwarebytes; neither one detected any malware. I ran a thorough search with both programs and again, no results. I tried a “system restore” which didn’t work. I tried re-installing a “clean” version of Windows 10, which took HOURS to finish. but the result was an incomplete download and most of my files were inaccessible because the mouse wouldn’t work when I clicked on anything. Since that event, I’m using a Dell laptop to do my daily tasks like e-mails, etc.

Any suggestions would be most welcome.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@ansgarsson 

If your PC is a 2016 model or newer, you should see if you can make a bootable USB recovery drive using the HP cloud recovery tool on a working PC.

The recovery drive can then be used to install Win10 and the HP drivers and utilities that originally came with your PC.

Here is the link: https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c06162205

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.